Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slip on flanges for normal fluid services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xk333

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2024
IN
Is it a good practice to use slip on flanges for normal fluid services for flange rating 150# instead of weld neck flanges to save cost?

Would you recommend slip on flanges for steam service of 10 bar and 30 bar pressure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Screenshot_20240617_212146_Adobe_Acrobat_wmhbtp.jpg

ASME B31.3 also states that slip on flanges can be used where severe erosion, crevice corrosion is expected and for toxic, flammable services as well if double welded.

ASME B31.3 2022
K308.2.2 Other Flange Types. Slip-on, socket welding,
and expanded joint flanges, and flanges for flared laps, are
not permitted.

Regards

r6155,

I'm on working with Category D and Normal service fluids. K308.2.2 is for High pressure Fluids if I'm not wrong

I keep seeing the 30% strength of a WNF reference to B31.3 - can someone give the full reference from B31.3? Fitters are trying to argue that "we have slip ons all over the place without any issues" doesn't necessarily mean its best practice.

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” - C.S. Lewis

Fitters are trying to argue that "we have slip ons all over the place without any issues" doesn't necessarily mean its best practice.
Are your fitters also the operators who know from day-by-day experience how both systems perform? If not, their argument has little ground.

I think the 30% number could easily be a ballpark figure thought of by someone, some time ago, perhaps in some publication. It could be accurate, it could be not. No matter what, it will always depend on service conditions.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back