Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Slope Profile using Civil 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmband

Geotechnical
Aug 1, 2012
US
I'm attempting to use C3D to generate profile views for reinforced slope structures. I have a surface representing the future grading and 2D polylines representing the slope outlines. How do you all typically obtain slope profiles? Do you create alignments based on either the top of slope or toe of slope, then create a profile view? How do you account for the additional area when slopes curve horizontally?

Thanks for any help/advice

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need an alignment to cut a profile. Create a profile view to see the profile. A top of slope or toe of slope profile won't show you the grade, it will most likely be constant? Alignments can handle tangents, curves and spirals. If you have 2D polylines, did you assign their elevation to the z-value and add them to a surface as contours? How did you create your proposed surface?

Users guide, best practice guide, etc. here:

Right. I basically took the 2D polyline and broke it into two parts. One part would be the top of slope and the second, the toe of slope. I then made those two parts alignments and then created a profile view. I believe C3D takes the alignments and projects it onto the surface in order to get the change in elevation along the alignment.

I really just wanted to know how other companies do this and if they do anything in addition. For example, a slope with a curve will not accurately be represented when creating a profile view because of the additional area due to curvature. So, I'll take area out by "flattening" the slope as if it weren't curved.

You are better off adding 3D polylines (featurelines) at the top and toe of the slope to create the surface of the slope structure. Then create sections every 50' or so (depending on the scale of your slope structure you may want to reduce the increments) perpendicular to the slope, as you would with a roadway alignment. This would allow average end area calculations for volume based on the printed plans (alternately use Civil 3D to generate net volumes).
If you are after a "profile view" such as is typical with a retaining wall you are out of luck with C3D. You can use the toe of the slope as an alignment but since the alignment does not have horizontal depth, you would have to draw over the profile view in order to display the top of slope. I do not believe two alignments can be displayed on one profile view.

Nate the Great

MrBachelor,

I like your idea and am now going to attempt to implement it. Once question I have is if there is a way to automatically add a station/elevation label to the top of slope and toe of slope points in the cross-sections. I can do it manually to each one individually, but I don't see in the style settings how to do it automatically. I figured you would know since you seem experienced with C3D, but I can go elsewhere if you're unable too.

Thanks again for the help/recommendations, francesca & MrB.

Not to take anything from this site as it is a great place for information, but you might ask your question at in the vertically challenged group. They are very good at explaining civil 3d. I am guessing this can be done with cooridors and assemblies.

dmband,
I don't know of a way to do it automatically. That's not to say it can't be done.
Station labels along an alignment are easy in plan view, those correspond to the sections where the elevations can be read. It seems a little redundant to list top and toe of slope elevations in plan view when you are providing sections. If there are specific, critical elements or inflections on your top or toe I would list those stations/elevations manually in plan view and rely on the section profiles to display the elevations for the incremental sections.

MEM1,
Thanks for the tip on theswamp.org I'll be checking that one out.

Nate the Great

If you are trying to design a fill slope, then you need to use a feature line and grading objects. Civil 3D can do anything you need to for this if you use it right. Please look at the documentation I linked to. There are examples there. If you don't want to learn how to use the software then design it by hand and detail it with 2D CAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back