Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slope/Sheet Erosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

butch1954

Computer
Feb 2, 2003
US
Problem is sheet erosion on lake front property. House is 140 feet from sea wall. Sheet erosion is undermining the seawall. Lot is 128 feet wide and on a 30% slope toward lake. What is the best way to manage the sheet erosion. I am in Middle Georgia where the soil is clay, so little absorption is taking place. I have thought about french drains, but believe I would have to leave them open as the clay covering would let little surface water penetrate. Any ideas would be appreciated. At this time, no idea is a bad one !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Couple of Questions:
Is the R/O from onsite or offsite source? If offsite can it be diverted and/or captured then conveyed in open channel towards the lake?

Is the slope highly Vegetated at this time? If not would adding or densifying the veg help?

Or would Terracing with retaining walls be economically viable? This would decrease that 30% slope ecentially slowing the velocity and may be appealing to the owner. If a number of drops are not economically viable then maybe use larger drops. But that 30% grade can be tough to work with.

First, a discharge will be needed to conduct any calculations in either onsite or off site condition. Then calc a stable slope for the specific soil type, d50 etc... Stable slope analyses can be found in many sed transport texts.

Possible a combination may solve your problem.

If you would have to use a french drain system, consider filling the trench above the drain tile with gravel, toped by a filter fabric, and then some top soil on the top 4".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back