Slope stability evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagatalluri

Geotechnical
Jul 19, 2010
US
Guys

Can you please suggest a geophysical method for evaluation of slope stability (doing a geophysical array to get the soil properties along the slope). In my understanding seismic refraction and MASW are the most famous techniques that are used for geophysical exploration related to geotechnical applications. Can any one comment on which one is better for evaluation of slope stability in Clay soils.

Thanks
NT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NT, the technique used in boh investigations is refraction seismic, I'm not sure the second example is Vp refraction with a very soft clay or Vs refraction with pretty stiff clay. Sure differences in velocity would seem small if Vp refraction, but softer means less stable.

NT, I can confirm you that the 2nd site (lower velocity values) are Vs or shear waves velocities, as you rightly guessed. The unstable shallower mass included some engineered road subgrade whose stiffness is not low.

Thanks McCoy, i could guess that the second profile is shear wave velocity. I am wondering if it is MASW or sesimic refraction using SH-waves ?

Because seismic refraction using SH-waves is not very common in United States and there is no ASTM standard for that.

Thanks
NT

NT, I confirm the second profile is seismic refraction with SH-waves, here this kind of investigation is pretty common in some areas, less common in other areas, whereas MASW 2D profiles so far are very rare.

killswitchengage said:
Mccoy could you provide the software you are using? the guys here that makes seismic profiles only gives us the classification of the site and Vs , Vp speeds

Right now I don't remember since I don't have that specific software.

You can search with the keywords '2D seismic refraction softwares' or similar, but if you like the output, you can write me an email and I'll be specific about the product used by my colleague.

By the way, which building codes do you follow in Algeria? The Eurocodes? In such a case Do you adopt some other European country specifics or did your state define the details (the various factors which a state member can adjust)?

meh Algeria is the country you should not visit let alone work there. Here its all chaos , normally we follow French regulations and normes , but we are working with normes that dates back to as much as 1984..!!! Eurocode 7 for soil has not been bought yet here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back