Slope Stability Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtguy4587

Geotechnical
May 27, 2005
CA
Hello fellow Geotechs,

I am currently looking to purchase a new slope stability package for our firm. We currently use Geo-Slope Slope/W, and also have GSlope. I was wondering what experience folks have with other stability analysis software. One key item we would be looking for is a better CAD interface, as much of the slope work we do involves detailed CAD drawings...it would be nice to save a step and use the CAD designs in the stability analysis.

Look forward to the comments.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dirtguy4587,

I am really quite surprised to hear that the Slope/W CAD interface is that poor. I used to use Slope/W, many moons ago, and would happily trade up if offered, if only for the ease of performing the analyses. I would have expected that the CAD interface for the product, easily one of the most expensive on the market, would have been top-notch.

I am currently required to use PCSTABL5 - albeit with the STEDWin shell, which makes the experience much more palatable than just having the old DOS interface. XSTABL is a cut above PCSTABL5 (DOS) with respect to ease of use, but is still clunky. I have used Slide, from Rocscience, but found that the graphical editing capabilities (e.g., moving points around on the screen) were frustratingly inferior to those of Slope/W. Additionally, Slide's mechanisms for searching for a minimum factor of safety also seemed to be faulty or not as easy to use as those in Slope/W.

Please note that I have not used Slope/W since version 5, and I would be unaware of any recent major changes to the interface.

Jeff

Jeffrey T. Donville, PE
TTL Associates, Inc.

We use Autocad for everything and have a perpetual version of Slope/w.

Failry familiar with most of the programs on the market. We have had good luck with Stedwin ( and export to a .dxf. We then plot other info as necessary.

Hope this works for you.

Dirtguy 4587:

The latest release our software, SLOPE/W 2004 (version 6), can import a DXF file either as a simple picture, or the DXF file can be used to automatically generate regions and points for your stability analysis within the software. This lets you define your geometry in AutoCAD and import it directly into SLOPE/W without redrawing the regions.

Please visit our SLOPE/W page to see a list of changes that have been made to the software for this latest release. You can also download the entire GeoStudio 2004 suite and use the Viewer license to work with SLOPE/W.

Please contact me at Sales@geo-slope.com if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
J. Paul bryden
Sales & Marketing Manager
GEO-SLOPE International Ltd.

Thanks PBryden...I will look at the new version of Slope/W. We are currently using v.5, and have had difficulty importing CAD designs successfully. Perhaps we will have more luck if we upgrade.

Dirtguy4587:

As a followup I did not address the Slope/W issue because I thought you had it ... but (obviously) Paul is right ... this is the other software we use, and we have had no problems with the downloads for Slope/W ...

We use a program by University of Wisconsin at Madison. It is based on the old Purdue PC stabel and is now modified by Professor Boscher of UWM. Last I checked, the price is around $300 and you have to donate this to UW, and as a token of appreciation the software will be mailded to you. You will have to enter the coordinates manually, but only once for each design. It is very powerfull, easy to learn and is accepted by many governing agencies. I use it about twice a month and recommend it.

A Member of

fndn - something you wrote struck me; I've seen it before. "... accepted by many governing agencies." Can you elaborate. Do state DOT's etc. mandate which programmes you can use? How about which pile Nq factor (Berentzev, Meyerhoff, Vesic, etc.)? I would think that the "analysis" would rest with the geotechnical firm. Thanks.

In Southern California, once we write our geotechnical reports, the clients or their agents submit it to the city, and if unincorporated to the county. Our reports are then reviewed by an engineering geologist or engineer and we get a review letter asking us to clarify and expand on some points. If for example, I am doing a slope repair analysis, and I use hand calculations, but the authors of my references are unknown to the county, or it is a recently published paper, then I will have to do alot of convincing, and my client is held up from going ahead. So, we use references and software that the county professionals are familiar with and are also used by the industry. As you noticed, the same is true for type of solutions. For example, some localities dislike crib walls, other use caisson for just about every thing, and it actually gets us more repeat business, if our reports are liked by the municipality and the contractor.

A Member of

Slide version 5.0 has advanced CAD capabilities for both defining and editing slope geometry. Designed after Autocad™, the ability to enter and edit geometry could not be easier. Slide does not have any of the geometrical restrictions that most other slope stability products have, where they require slope or material lines/zones to be entered in a certain very restrictive order. You just draw the boundaries or enter them through a spreadsheet. As a result, Slide can import DXF files containing very complicated slope and material interface geometry with very little or no modification.

For more information on the modeling capabilities of Slide, follow the link:

Rocscience Inc.

I assume you are looking at SOIL slopes. If you need to analyze ROCK slopes, then Dr. Skip Watts' program, ROCKPACK III will be what you need to consider. Check it out at Single license at $875 US. Contact Dr. Watts at cwattsva@aol.com for additional information.

Talren V4 has a very sophisticated interface and allows for reinforced slopes, piles, nails, bins, virtually anything you want to put into the slope. It also does staged construction within a single model and different conditions within the same stage (i.e. seismic, static, flooded, dry).

A program I have been using for some time now if STABL for Windows. It is really easy to use, particularly for those already used to stabl in some other form. The company that puts it out is also good with technical support and sells another very nice program, for laterally-loaded piles. The URL of their website is

Jake

Hi there,

I have been trying to import CAD dxf slope profiles (so open lines) into slope/W v6 with the help of the help index. I get the dialog box saying import as picture or region. If I import as region, I get a message saying there are no closed polylines so impossible to import - fair enough, I agree with that. But if I choose to import as picture and click ok it just closes the dialog box and then I have a blank page with no slope profile on it!

Can anyone help?

Hello Cryopatra,

If you can send us your file I will have one of our engineering take a look at it. Please send the file to support@geo-slope.com.

Sincerely,

Paul Bryden
Sales & Marketing Manager
GEO-SLOPE International

SLOPE/W

I worked on the new slope/W. The DXF issue is a bug and they are working to solve it. I have a work around for that problem. clearly explaing ur porblem. I will be happy to help you

ahandsomemind

Cryopatra
In the DXF you are trying to import.. Any region (Closed Space) should be drafted as a polyline and in most of the cases it is not. Even if its a polyline it should be closed.

Ahandsomemind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back