Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

slope stability software

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaskb

Geotechnical
May 14, 2011
US
I am a geotech engineer and in the market to buy some easy to use software for slope stability analysis. Hoping someone has had a good experience with a certain software and would recommend it. Also with this software, I need to analyze the stability of temporary excavations on jobsites.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Softwares are based on simple methods like Bishop ..
- GeoStudio with the SLOPE/W module is a very easy to use software
- TALREN a french software that is easy to use, but the interface isn't very sofisticated.
If you want a more sofisticated software, you have to look for a finite elements one.
- Plaxis 2D gives the stress and strain in every soil point, it is very usefull espicially to analyze the staged phases like temporary staged excavations.. it can calculate many scenarios in one project.

• TALREN is a nice software. I have used it so many times already. Although you will need to study how to use it first because that’s where the difficult part is.
• Did you say you were to analyze the stability of temporary excavations on job sites? Then the best option for you will be Plaxis (now there’s Plaxis 2D)
• I only know two of the popular software for slobe stability and these are Oasys and Plaxis 2D.
• Oasys would be the most helpful software for two dimensional slope stability analyses.
• Why don’t you try Oasys or SVSlope? Both of them are good. You can also try Plaxis 2D.

I've enjoyed using SLIDE in the past, it's powerful and user friendly, I think they are on version 6 or 7 now, I used 5 primarily. It's 2D and works well with water issues and seismic loads. For straight real world analysis of common earth structures and slope stability, the non-PhD-type stuff, it worked well for me. The interface is like a real simple autocad X,Y coordinate or you can graphically draw it. A coworker took about 10 minutes initially to show how to get going on it then from there the menus were such that I didn't have to study manuals, I could just play around with it to find and do what I wanted.

For what you need, you should try TARLEN and GeoStudio. I strongly recommend these. I’d explain why but the guys above pretty much have that covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back