slot length 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaffy

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2020
CA
Good Evening fellow engineers,

I am looking for some information about the slot length. I understand that CISC/AISC has tables which set a limit on length of slots. However, I see a lot of parts by different suppliers (sheet metals, steel plates, angle etc.) with really long slots. Having a really long slot obviously help with adjustment. I do not work directly with building etc but still works with variety of steel structural members. My question is where should I draw the line about following the CISC on slot length? Also is there any limit on slot length of sheet metal parts which are under load but not catastrophic?

Thank you
Kaffy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slots should be as short as possible (or as reasonable, depending on the assembly).

Long slots would reduce the structure's stiffness/strength.

Situation is worse where you have two pieces at right angles to one another, both with slots.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Those slot lengths set the upper bound limits for use with the design equations in the relevant standard. So if the standard has an equation to evaluate the bearing of a pin or bolt in a long slotted hole, then that equation is only valid up to the limits in that table. Longer slots would require additional evaluation by the design engineer. That may mean looking at the outer portion of the part as a thin plate in bending or other more 'first principles' checks.

Bang on pham...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Do you feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back