Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slot utility symbol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhivago

Electrical
May 14, 2005
US
How do you create a utility symbol for a slot? The standard linear centerline creates one longitudinal centreline and two latitudinal centerlines at the centres of the arcs.We are draughting to ANSI Y14.5M and I need one latitudinal centerline to locate the slot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This doesn't really answer to your question, but Y14.5 does allow for dimensioning to the arc center lines or to the outside of the slot in addition to the center of the slot.
[morning]

The way my company has interpreted Y14.5M is to dimension to the outsides for the size of the slot, and to dimension to the centres for the actual location of the slot on the plate, angle etc.

Try using "Block Centerline" from UTILITY SYMBOLS. I think you would pick the two sides of the slot first; then pick the two arcs. A centerline should be created down the middle of the slot and extend past the arcs.

We get occasional visits by a trainer from UG and he has shown me how to get what I want.
You use Cylindrical Centreline, have the filter set to Control Point, then dig near the mid-points of the straight sides of the slot. This will then give you a latitudinal centreline across the slot.
Thanks ewh & rghay for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back