Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshposh

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2004
GB
I have just upgraded to 2005 and have noticed a general slowing down.
This is particularly bad when sketching. When drawing a line, circle or rectangle the line etc.. no longer follow the cursor. Also when placing dimensions the dimension does not move with the cursor.

I dont think it is a system thing as it happens when nothing else is running and I am sketching the first part.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this usual.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Every major version is more demanding so it could be a system thing. So give us your specs, video card and drivers.

Also did you do an upgrade or a new install of SW05? If you did and upgrade uninstall faq559-488 and clean out registry, etc... and reinstall SW05 fresh.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

I've noticed (on occasion) what is described in JoshPosh's post. But it only starts happening after I've worked on a part for a while and have done a number of changes or additions. (I'm using 2005 sp.0.1)

When you draw a circle, the line doesn't follow the cursor so you can not see what you're drawing...then when you release the mouse button, the circle appears, sometimes really different in size to what you're expecting. Or when drawing a dimension, the dimension and lines that mark the dimension don't appear until after the you release the mouse button.

I forgot to add this to the previous post. The installation was not an upgrage but possibly not clean either.
2004 was uninstalled from ADD/REMOVE programs and 2005 installed.

The registry was not cleaned because I didnt know about it.
Before I touch this I need to be fairly certain that it is worth the risk.

I was getting some glitches, so I performed a complete uninstall and reinstall per Scott's FAQ postings. You'll want to get all the gunk out of the registry before reinstalling (good to follow FAQ and use a registry cleaner as well, if possible).

Should be more stable now. I originally installed from the download and then applied SP 0.1--that's probably part of the problems I experienced.

Check out the FAQs on a complete uninstall/reinstall.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

I don't mean to cloud things up here, but I found in my benchmarking that I got a substantial speed increase when I upgraded the old 53.03 drivers. Now then, I expect I'll have to revert to the certified version before I can get help from my VAR. I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Anyhow, my FX1100 with the 53.03 drivers sometimes exhibited some of the behavior being described. So I don't think they'll solve the problem.

I have the exact same card 1100 FX and I'm running the 53.03 and anything else causes slow downs and instabilty. At least for my systems and 95% of my users using the FX or Quadro series cards.

But if you use drivers that are not certified by SW, then your taking a chance at your own risk. IMO when you do that you can't blame SW for those results and if you cal your VAR I'm sure they will tell you to switch to the version of drivers SW has posted.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

I dont think anyone was looking to blame SW for this problem.

The reality is that modern computers are not dedicated to a single program. I use a variety of programs which each have different requirements. If I have problems, the normal response from technical support is to install the latest drivers. So now as a matter of routine I maintain my computer by installing the latest drivers.

I am now being told to use drivers that are over 12 months old.

I understand that to test every driver on every operating system in every instance is time consuming but this feels like a bit of a cop out.

But I will try it.

Well I have tried the old drivers. They havn't made it worse but they also have not improved it either. It only happens after a while, to me this implies that something is filling up and not being flushed out.

There used to be a command that optimized the display for pan and zoom. Maybe this flushes out the system but I cant find it anymore.

Anyone got any ideas.

I am running sw2004 sp4.2, xp pro 1.0 with a fx500 card. i am not running the solidworks approved driver. solidworks runnings slower. The version i am running is more stable (6.14.10.6573), i have reported this to solidworks.

Just because the driver is certified by solidworks does not make it the best driver to use.

I understand that to test every driver on every operating system in every instance is time consuming but this feels like a bit of a cop out.

From my understanding they do have some people at SW that tests these drivers for all the cards, OS and SW Version.

Sorry to hear that the drivers didn't work for you. Try this faq559-1058 and see if this doesn't help you. if neither of these work then it's not a video card problem at all.

I also have the Quadro 500 FX on another machine here, and the 53.03 drivers work great on that machine as well. I think there is more going on then just SW on your machine.. maybe?

Regards,

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Thanks for your continued help on this. I wish you hadn't pulled that part from my posting as a quote as it makes me look negative, when infact I feel that this release is a great improvement.
(it is now closer to my favourite Solid edge than ever)

In the overall scale of improvements this is a minor hiccup, its just anoying to loose something that you didn't realise was important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back