Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slow Solidworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholasmcgrew

Agricultural
Apr 12, 2006
US
Hey Guys,

I am having some computer issues. When I am working on my assembly in Solidworks and go to save, the computer really bogs down. I understand that massive assemblies take some horsepower. But, I look at the Windows Task Manager while it is saving and Solidworks is using little to none of the CPU. "explorer.exe" usually uses 70% and "csrss.exe" uses all but the rest. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't think it used to do this. I understand explorer is the backbone of Windows and apparently this csrss has something to do with Windows graphics.

I am running SW2007 SP2.2 I can't go to the newest SP because of the licensing verification. We have enough seats, but have several company laptops. My understanding is SP3 makes it more difficult to install on multiple computers. I also know you can get the number from Solidworks, but I'm not the IT guy. Our IT "guy" is our receptionist and I don't think she really knows what Solidworks is . . . but I digress

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it were a Windows or Solidworks problem.

Thanks a lot,
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I knew I forgot something.

My computer is a Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz with 2 MB of RAM. And yes, I am over a network.

I realize the network is a major factor here, but it just recently became this way. I feel that if Solidworks is saving my stuff, it should be using a good portion of my CPU. After 10 minutes of explorer doing its thing, then SW gets 98% of the CPU and wraps it up.

Thanks a lot,
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

What video card and driver?

IF your network is busy or the traffic is high SW won't be getting all the CPU because the data is being transferred to the files over the network... after the files are obvisously saved SW gets to do it again.

Best test to determine if its SW or your networks is to take the network out of the picture. Copy and open the files locally and make some changes and resave the assembly. If its faster then its your network and that your Machine or SW.

The only to determine what the problem is, is to take out parts of the equation to find out who or what is causing the problem.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

My Video card is a NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL.

I don't know a lot about the computer, because I've only been here for 1.5 years now. This computer was passed down to me.

I was hoping that someone here would have seen this before. But the more I think of it, it's probably just a network thing. I can't really copy all the files real easily; there's just too many.

I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for all your advice, Scott.
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

It's very simple! Open the file\File\Find references\Copy files\ - place them in a folder and close the file across the network. Reopen the local file and that's it!

Start\Programs\Solidworks\SOlidworks Tools\Solidworks RX - There under Diagnostics you will find your VC (Video card) Drivers.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

From the SW Rx

Manufacturer: NVIDIA Corporation
Card: Quadro4 980 XGL/AGP/SSE2
Driver: 6.14.10.5303

I've never used SW Rx. My problem is I've never received formal SW training; I've just learned on the fly. I have had a lot of training on AutoCAD and then Mechanical Desktop . . .

Anyway, I should have said, I don't want to copy the files to local, rather than "can't". Maybe at the end of the day or on Friday, when I have more time. The assembly has hundreds of files, and I just don't want to take the time. It's been behaving a little better today, knock on wood . . .

Thanks again!
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

If you have read anything here at all, you would now that a VC is a major issue with SW. Not running the right driver can cause multiple issue of slow downs... try searching the FAQ here you will find a lot of info there about this and other slow down possibilities

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Nicholas just a thought......I see you’re on SW2007. Have you considered using the Pack & Go feature (it’s new to 2007) to save the files to a different location?

Eddy

Well Scott suggested that and I considered it myself. But since this assembly of mine has a couple hundred parts, I didn't want to mess around with that.

We aren't a manufacturing company so our use of Solidworks is not typical. We are using it to lay out equipment in a factory. We have a couple of us working on the same "Master Assembly" and my assembly is portion of that. If Solidworks weren't so damn quirky with file paths and mate "alignments" I would consider it more.

I think the obvious answer to my problem is to get PDMWorks. But, we have a hard enough time convincing the boss to buy Vanilla Solidworks. He did spring for the toolbox though.

The two top dogs think AutoCAD is plenty good enough . . . But 3D is so much better.

Thanks for the thought though. I may try it later just for curiosity sake.
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

nicholasmcgrew,
How did you get toolbox with a basic seat of SW? Our VAR said there's no way of getting it without upgrading to SW Pro.

FYI, I'm working on a 6 page assembly drawing and it sucking eggs too as far as response time.

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

macduff-

Well this was before my time here, but apparently with our first few seats we were able to just buy Toolbox on top of basic. But more recently, when we've added more seats, we've had to by Pro.

That's the story I've been told. If that is the case though, I can't imagine why we're being allowed to update basic along with Toolbox. I could see being grandfathered in, but I would think the VAR would have required all SW2007 Pro's.

--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

When my company bought SW98 they went for basic plus FeatureWorks and PhotoWorks. It installs as Office but without Task Scheduler or other modules you would expect with the old Office version.

[cheers]

Hey Nick...

I think, that in the time it has taken you to reply to this thread (7 times)... you could've done a PACK AND GO on that assembly & possibly identified your problem. If it is your network, you could use this evidence to help justify the cost of PDM to your boss.

...just pointing out the obvious... [hammer]

Windows XP / Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000 / SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2 / SpaceBall 5000
"Right-click. It's friggin' magic!"... Jack L. Tate
FAQ376 I'm famous.

Yes TateJ, but posting on the forum is more fun!

Actually, I've done a pack and go this morning and it seemed to help. Although I do need to admit, the original file on the network was slightly better behaved today. This doesn't help my situation, but like Scott and others mentioned, it helps at least isolate this problem. Maybe we need to work on the network/server. Likewise, PDMWorks may help too. I've been told that PDMWorks is not good for our situation. But I think more reading online is in order.

Well I appreciate everyone's input and advice here. Though, I think it's time to retire this thread. I would like to think I'm more competent than this thread shows, although some folks may argue otherwise. I will go back to being a lurker now

Thanks to everyone,
--Nick

Nicholas P. McGrew
SW 2007 SP2.1
AutoCAD 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back