Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slug catcher 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlpm

Chemical
Jun 17, 2005
Three phase separator on offshore platform are used separate gas and water from crude oil which it well transferred after that across 20 km pipeline to onshore process area for farther processing. The crude oil are transferred to the three phase separator across 5000 BFBD slug flow pipeline (10.3 Km; 8'' id). Is there is important to use slug catcher before Three phase separator ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless the line has no elevation change and all the flows are constanat, you will not need a slug catcher. Not likely, so start designing one. I recommend ones made from frabricated weld fittings and not extruded specially design ones.

THE LINE HAS elevation change AND THE FLOW REGIME OF THE THE LINE IS SEVER SLUG FLOW IS IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO INSTALL SLUG CATCHER? AND WHAT PROBLEM RESULT FROM THE ABSENT OF SLUG CATCHER AND WHAT ADVANTAGE I CAN GAIN FROM INSTALLING IT?

Your production separator and all your equipment downstream of it are designed for pretty much constant conditions. No part of this system is likely designed to operate for a prolonged period of time with oil only, then water only, then gas only. If you inlet pipeline may discharge highly non-homogeneous slugs of these phases, then you need something in between the pipeline and your production facilities that will "homogenize" the phases. That something is the slug catcher.

pipesim 2000 can help me sizing the slug catcher and can i found useful resource on the internet about Deducing the slug catcher size

in pipesim output file what the mean of

- Slug Number (PI-SS)
- 1 in thousand (Length(feet) , Freq(min-1))
- liquid hold up

can i use pipesim or hysys in slug catcher design (determine size of slug catcher),

or is there other program which can i use in determine slug catcher size

You shouldn't need a program. You must know gas to liquid ratio inlet flowrates and total flowrate. Liquid:Total Flow x Flowrate x assumed time period = liquid volume/assumed time period to be removed. Find out what flow regime you have and make preparations to remove that amount of liquid according to the manner (mist, bubble, foam, annular streams, slug, etc.) at which it arrives at the outlet, during every assumed time period. Iterate the time period until the slug catcher gets too big or too expensive, or so small that you have to empty it too often.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back