Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slurry Pipeline Repair 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmcdz

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2009
US
Hello,

Has anybody repaired a slurry pipeline with an external Fibreglass or Carbon fibre wrap? How did they hold up? The slurry is water with some sand in it.

How do carbon fibre/ Fibreglass work in an erosive service? Would they hole through extremely quickly?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Slurry pipe material would be either 1/4" Chrome Carbide on 1/4" CS (or tungsten carbide in some places) or 1/2" or thicker white iron in places.

As mentioned we also have neoprene lined pipe as well. Mainly CCO though.

"I was hoping that somebody would offer some kind of grout/cement repair that is set around the pipe that we could certify (With proper engineering calcs) for our low pressure situation."

Did you see my comment on polyethylene pipe? Of course, that's based on the assumption that you're wearing thin on the bottom and only need a partial wrap. Well, I forgot about the -50C, maybe that rules it out.

If you need complete wrap and can use PE, you could afix 2 half rounds that are pre-mitered and then weld them together. If you can't match the ID, make up the gap with neoprene sheet. Heck, you could just use neoprene (or other such elastomer) sheet backed with thin bendable steel and strapped on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back