Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Slurry Service Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fetsch

Chemical
Mar 29, 2005
US
What type of valve will be able to throttle in a slurry service? The slurry is a saturated ash water with a pH of 13.5, total solids of 200000 ppmw, and TSM of 5200 ppmw. We have used standard ball valves in the past which don't last very long. We recently tried elastomer pinch valves which were highly recommended for slurry throttling services but failed after 4 months. Any recommendations on exotic material ball valves or something else that may work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Maybe a ceramic choke valve? These are made principally for flashing services for slurries, but will probably do the job. Expensive though. Valtek (Flowserve) and Caldera are two manufacturers to speak to.

Consider an UHMWPE-lined butterfly valve, you eliminate the cavity of a ball valve, keep the 1/4 turn stroke, and isn't much more money and vastly superior for erosion/corrosion.

I'd second the UHMWPE valve as long as you don't gag it too far (appropriate valve sizing).

Ensure you have a hard lined replaceable spool downstream or get a long body valve or you may chop out the piping immediately downstream of the valve in short order.

Are they the ones that failed? I only recommended them because sometimes one manufacturer will have a better mouse trap, and I have seen their valves used in some really abusive ash handling service with reasonable results.

If they are the ones laying in your scrap pile, then forget it.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back