Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

small but precise mill 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cambria

Electrical
Jun 16, 2005
US
I need to drill two 0.050 inch holes in stainless steel. The part is effectively a 1/16 npt bolt, which has been hollowed out. The hex head end has a circular recess 1/4 inch in diameter, and in that recess I need to drill the two holes. They need to be placed accurately, within 0.001 inches. The thickness being drilled is about 0.10 inches. This is a small part, so I dont need a giant turning center. We will be doing a few hundred a month plus prototypes. I would like to find a mill that would give that capability. Initial efforts comes up with mini-mills which seem like just low cost bench top drill presses. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you might want to look at doing this with one of the specialized "drilling EDM" machines

A.R. "Andy" Nelson
Engineering Consultant
anelson@arnengineering.com

We talked to the EDM people, and yes, that is a candidate. Laser drilling a possible as well, but the the combination of precision, small size, and thickness of wall through which we wish to drill makes a difficult job for either. In addition to all of the good ideas posted, we are also looking at microcermamic molding, and mold the whole thing. We have sent out test samples for laser, edm and to a couple good old-fashioned honest-to-God machine shops. Its pretty much a Betty Crocker cook-off at this point. We gave up doing it ourselves.

doug

I know this is pretty far down the thread and you may have your answer by now but check out the specs on a "Robodrill" and see if it might meet your need. They are rocket fast and super accurate. This is no glorified drill press but rather a small - but full blown - CNC mill.

Powerhound, GDTP T-0419
Production Manager
Inventor 2009
Mastercam X3
Smartcam 11.1
SSG, U.S. Army
Taji, Iraq OIF II

Thanks, and I am on to Robodrill right now. Will provide feedback. And no, not late. We have had a good machinist do the work and they have been doing well,but I am not sure if they are happy about doing the work (I think they get a lot of waste).

Thanks. I shall be back.

doug

I would seek help from ISCAR and see if a through the spindle carbide drill will do the trick. We have had luck with them with small holes in thicker stainless and you might even be able to skip center drilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back