Small diameter tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_Yoon

Mechanical
Nov 1, 2023
US
Hi
Does anyone can give an advice about tower has small-diameter?

Here we have two types of tower and approx. dimension as below.
A tower - 400 I.D with 19000 TL-TL
B tower - 900 I.D with 27000 TL-TL

Both towers will have distributor tray and number of packing beds.

Q1) Is there specific requirement that body flange application?
Q2) Can you give an advice that which type of platform can be applicable? (structural platform or equipment supported platform)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just to keep things clear - what units are your measurements in? Pretty sure your "small" tank is not 400 km diameter ...

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Sounds like Daniel Yoon has no idea what he is doing to me ...

He has never designed or specified a Coded pressure vessel or distilation tower before ... His MBA boss (yes, I said it) has demanded that he just "wing-it and see what will happen !!

It looks like he is fishing for answers .... and that this first posting, with a tiny bit of information, will only be the first in a long, long, long series as part of his free engineering education ...

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Both towers require structure around their perimeter (square section) to resist the wind.
Body flanges as minimal as possible. Pressure only design (not wind).
I designed a similar tower a few years ago. I worked in the manufacturing shop and it was a pleasant experience.
Regards

r6155's idea sounds good to me.
In either case, look into wind vibration, vortex shedding, maximum deflections, etc.
For a free-standing column, it can be advantageous at times to adjust thicknesses simply to adjust natural period.
Or it may be cheaper to increase the diameter rather trying to beef up a fixed diameter.
Do you need access for personnel into either version?

Vaguely recall DN400 pipe is about the lower limit on diameter for absorber or stripper columns, so tower A should be possible. Talk to your mechanical engineer about manhole size, and get the Plant Operator to accept also.

//r6155
Thanks a lot!!
Cuz of its diameter, I'm thinking body flange instead of manway for internal parts such as trays or packing bed.
If you don't mind, could you please share information about your experience? like dimension and whether it was considered its own platform.

@ Daniel_Yoon

1) This was in year 1999.
2) Access to the entire tower surface is necessary to perform an in-service inspection. Ladders and platforms inside the structure.
3) 100% painted and assembled in the shop for transport.
4) The structure resists 100% of the wind load, maximum deflection defined by the user.
5) The tower: skirt and 4 support lugs at one level, bolted to the structure.
6) Piping inside the structure

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back