Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Small fab shop, questions on requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganFab85

Structural
Jan 22, 2023
US
I have small welding & fabrication shop that I run by myself. I do all the fabrication and welding. I hold D1.1 certs in the processes I use. I've done some residential structural work and all that has ever been asked from me is copies of my certs. I'm looking at bidding the structural steel on a house for a builder I've never done work for. I want to fully understand what will be required of me so I can 1. meet the requirements and 2. budget for them in my bid. I have never done actual shop drawings. I've always worked with the builder, taken field measurements, then done any needed cad drawings myself to figure out any fit-up issues and then completed to fabrication. I welcome any input/help, thank you in advance.

The structural steel notes of the prints are as follows:

A. All structural steel shall conform to current AISC and IBC standards.

B. All Structural steel shall have a minimum yield strength of 50 ksi for W shapes (“I” beams- ASTM A-441 or A-572), 36 ksi (ASTM A-36 for shapes and
plates, ASTM A-53 for pipe columns), and 46 ksi (ASTM A-500, Grade B) for structural steel tubing.

C. EXPOSURE PROTECTION: All steel exposed to weather, moisture, soil, or as noted shall be galvanized per ASTM A-123 (1.25 oz/sf minimum). All
other steel surfaces to be shop primed after fabrication.

D. WELDS:

1. All welding is to be performed in accordance with the specifications of the American Welding Society (AWS) code D1.1-88.

2. Use E70XX electrodes (low hydrogen or approved equal) in all welding, unless use of another electrode is approved by the engineer.

3. All shop or field welding is to be performed by a Qualified Welder for the specific process indicated.

4. Where field welding is to be performed in the immediate area of existing flammable material (e.g., wood framing), such material shall be shielded or
wrapped for protection from combustion, and a fire extinguisher shall be readily available during this process.

5. All field welds must be inspected by an AWS-Certified welding inspector, per “94 UBC Section 1701.5.5. The inspector must be notified prior to any
welding process, so that preliminary inspection may be made if necessary. Inspection is to be visual and 100%, unless noted otherwise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't really see any questions in here. I think shop drawings will be expected that indicate all of your work including material selection, section sizes, welding operations, and dimensions.
AISC spells out how all of this works in section 16.3 of AISC 360 - 15

It seems like straightforward stuff.

I`ll just add that those notes are ancient.
The AWS spec from 1988?
1994 UBC?
Antiquated material specs from wide flange beams & tube steel?
I wouldn't want to sign a contract based on requirements from 35 years ago. What happens if the 1988 code contracts current code? You won't have a choice but to violate the contract.
I assume that can all be addressed in the bid process.

Thanks for the replies. I was able to talk to a local CWI and get most things answered.

I did notice the dates and was wondering. Seems the engineer just copy/paste notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back