Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small gap measurement techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

IKBrunel

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2008
GB
Hi,

I have a precision shrink-fit rotor assembly that features a shaft with a stack of heated aluminium hub discs (~150mm dia) that are press-fitted onto a LN2-cooled shaft. We are left with small gaps remaining between the discs (shrink-back) and the measurement of these is critical for our product development.

The gaps are typically between 10 and 150 microns. We can not probe easily because the hub discs are a large diameter and a micro probe would be too long/slender.

We have used both feeler gauges and a shadowgraph to measure the gaps. The latter is obviously preferable but there is a penumbra which reduces the accuracy unacceptably. I am looking at sharpening the shadow but I am curious to know if there are better measurement methods.

Please can you help by suggesting alternative measurement techniques.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, CoryPad, they've a 2D displacement sensor that is a good option. I've asked what the cost is.

It's non-destructive and measurements are taken within a controlled inspection room.

Matt

IK Brunel,
I have had absolute success using capacitance gauges for the precision and accuracy that you might need. The gauges can be as this as 0.10 mm fixed to measuring equipment or wands. I know capacitec inc have a bore diameter checker - they might be a useful contact.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back