Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Optically clear fluoropolymer beads w RI ~1.36

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCSI

Bioengineer
Apr 26, 2007
US
Hello,
Am new to this board. Looking for a source for small (~0.200mm), optically clear plastic beads with a refractive index ca. 1.36, which I assume would probably be a fluoropolymer. For example, Norton FEP would be OK, but seems to be supplied only as powder or film?
Jonathan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just encountered Dow Corning "Sylgard" products (e.g. Sylgard 306636; HIPEC® Q3-6646), several of which are at least low RI solid gels (after they cure). They are not beads, though. I wonder if there is a way to exploit their hydrophobicity to make them solidify as beads? E.g. blend them into a water emulsion, freeze it, and wait a very long time? Otherwise, how do you mill a rubbery silicone into particles?

You have to cryogrind in order to mill rubbers. That's available commercially and only costs around 25 Euro cents per kilo, perhaps 20 US cents per pound. Can you perhaps make a thin sheet of the rubber and just cut it with a knife to make pellets?

There is not any memory with less satisfaction than the memory of some temptation we resisted.
- James Branch Cabell

Cryogrinding! In retrospect, obvious. I could just drop the block (well, many small pieces) in liquid N2 and smash it up. Excellent idea. I think I am getting somewhere on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back