Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small Pulsation Dampener

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkXX

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2007
US
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for an small (a few cubic inches), adjustable pulsation dampener that that will operate at low pressures (1-30psi).

Most dampeners that I have come across are quite large and are designed to be used in high pressure systems (1000psi and up).

Please inform me if something like this exists already.

Thank You, Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Manufacturers of small PD (e.g. Metering) Pumps should be able to supply suitable pulsation dampeners. Maybe even a dampener designed for use in a domestic or potable water service would be suitable.

what about a dead leg with expansion bellows ? And, if your problem is small enough, what about the kind of bellows used in pneumatic instrumentation?

By the way, what does "adjustable" mean here?

Thanks everyone,

I have considered the dead leg filled with a gas (air) but believe a pulsation dampener in which I could control the pressure inside the bladder or bellow would be best. This would allow me to vary the energy absorbed in the line and hopefully help produce the desired back pressure in the line.

Honestly, I am a little unfamiliar with this type of work (fluids) and I am trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks for your help!

markxx
need more information, what is the pule amplitude and frequency, what is driving the pulsations? I believe Wilden pumps do a pulse damping unit that matches their air driven diaphragm pump range.
cheers

Mark Hutton

Hello Again,

More information:

What I am doing is fatigue testing a valve. This is being accomplished by moving the valve in a fluid as opposed to moving the fluid through a stationary valve. On the downstroke of the valve (when the valve is closed) I want the pressure on the valve to increase and be adjustable to around 2 - 30 psi. I want to accomplish this by restricting the flow of the fluid (when the valve is closed and being used to push the fluid through a loop) with some sort of valve and also a compliance component. This is where my pulsation dampener comes in. I would rather buy one then build one however buying one might be my only option. I will try to operate the system between 5 -50 Hz.

Thanks Again, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back