Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small pump for liquid pentane 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdra2

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2006
GB
Apologies for such a non-specific post, but I am essentially trying to assess the feasibility of something I know next-to-nothing about.

I am, in essence, after a pump to move liquid pentane in a (very small) closed loop system:-

Metric: 194m head, 3.6m3/hr (or 1 litre per second)

Imperial: 636ft head, 16 USgal/minute

I am wondering...

(a) if pumps are made this small for liquid hydrocarbons - maybe for Petrochem processes much larger scales are always used?

(b) can they be electric motor driven?

(c) what sort of pump to go for, and what special seals might be required?

(d) some good suppliers to approach... (I have googled but there are more pump manufacturers than you can shake a stick at and I don't know where to start!).

(e) ballpark figures about how much such a thing, if it exists, would cost.

Cheers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about using a regenerative turbine pump? I've used them in chemical plants, they're ideal for high head very low flow applications. I've used them down to 0.5m3hr flowrates. I think Sundyne market them under the Caster brand.

Try Viking pumps in Cedar Falls Iowa. Under Pentane they say "Standard construction with Carbon graphite bushings". So looks like they use internal gear pumps.
Rod

Rod Nissen.
Combustion & Engineering Diagnostics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back