Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small relief valve vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfro

Mechanical
Dec 27, 2005
US
I'm trying to find a relief valve around the .187 diameter sizing. I currently use a Lee Co. valve, but it doesn't function very well at the moment. I'm looking for at least 200 psi cracking pressure.

Thanks,
Thomas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In our application, it does not seal after it is cracked and 100 psi is the maximum they can make in the .187 size.

As far as I recall they have a wide gap between the cracking pressure the re-sealing pressure (~20%). This means that they may crack at 100 psi but will re-seal only when the pressure reduces to 70-80 psi. I am not familiar with other company that makes miniature products such as Lee Co. Is it for liquid or gas?

I had the chance to develop a gas pressure relief valve for 1100 psi with less than 5% gap between the cracking and re-sealing pressures but it had larger diameter.

We are using it in oil, and it doesn't reseal at any pressure or amount of time. We pull a vacum against the seal in the oil filling process and the valve leaks in this situation.

Look at a Crosby 900 series. If memory serves it is available with an elastomeric seat insert. Farris would be a comparable vendor, but I do not know their model for the competitive valve.

Could you point me at a model from Swagelok or Parker? They all seem to be much larger than the Lee Co. valve. I don't think I made it very clear in the first post, but this is a .187" diameter by .500" long, so its very small compared to standard relief valves.

Can you post the Lee catalog number?
Can you provide more information on the circuit arrangement it was not clear form your previous post. Especially the following statement: "We pull a vacuum against the seal in the oil filling process and the valve leaks in this situation"
What kind of oil?

Sure, here is the link to them
I'll try to clear up how its used in this application. We have a volume that has only one input to be filled and a fairly complex shape and this Lee Co. valve inserted to allow the volume to vent if the pressure exceeds XXXpsi once the system is filled and closed. But since there is only one input, you can't just pour in the oil, you have to pull a vacuum on the volume with a container of oil inline and let the oil backfill into the void. It works very well until this valve doesn't seal after it has vented once.

Eltron: We've worked with them in the past to work with this, and they can do it in a .281 size but can't exceed 100psi in the .187 size. Which is why I'm trying to find a different vendor who might have something that works already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back