Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small signal conditioner for accelerometer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangmei

Electrical
Mar 7, 2003
US
We need to build a wireless sensor network, basically each sensor is attached to a radio. We are looking at the Endevco 702A11, which is a i-TEDS accelerometer. My question is, where can I find one as small as possible signal conditioner, not some big boards mounted on racks. And the output of this signal conditioner can be directly connect to ADC on our DAQ board.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cannot find 702A11 on Endevco's site...

Also, what type of accclerometer is it? Is a PZ, a PR or is it VC?

If You have a Piezo electric accelerometer, then you need a constant current source to excite the accel and then you need a charge amplifier and then some gain to get it up to the leves of you ADC. Of course, ISOTRON does all this for you and gives you a

On the other hand, if you have a Piezoresistive bridge, then you nedd a differential amp and some gain.

If it is a Variable Capacitance output, then you just hook it right up to your ADc and go.

All these three options need power, if you are wireless, AND battery operated you have to watch your power consumption of course.

Also, depending on how you use your data, you will probably need Anti Aliasing Filters before you digitize.

Also, Are you planning to use the ITEDS info? If so, you have interface issues there too.

All the above circuits can be interfaced with a simple and low cost custom circuits which can be tiny. With more info, can point you in right direction.

MG

Thanks for your reply!
Our application is to demo smart sensor(IEEE1451.4) technology in a wireless network. We only use PZ accelerometer and thermocouples. Like 61C12 from Endevco.
And we do need to access TEDS.
But it is quite hard to find a suitble signal conditioner (with small size, can be connected to stand-alone DAQ ). All signal conditioners I found are big boards put in a box or something.
So, if you can tell me where to find a good off-the-shelf signal conditioner or how to build a custom one, it will be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back