Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

small submersible pump - high flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn6

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2007
US
I need a pump that is small like an aquarium pump, but has high enough flow to pump water through a 1.5mm ID tube for a length of 12 feet. The water needs to be pumped through at a rate to keep consistent flow, not dripping, but it doesn't need to shoot out. Anyone know where to find something like this? I haven't had any luck unless I create my own mechanical pump. Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

High flow and 1.5mm tube? What sort of flow are you talking about? Given the small diameter of the tube and the reasonable length- you'll probably want something that can generate a bit of head.

If you want to go for something industrial- use a laboratory peristaltic pump. Otherwise an aquarium "powerhead" or submersible pump will also do the job.

dawn6: you're confusing flow with pressure. What you need is a pump which generates enough pressure to force liquid through a 1.5 mm diameter tube and overcome the pressure loss due to friction that results.

Most aquarium and garden pond-type pumps are low head (pressure) devices. They have small diameter impellers running at motor speeds which are pretty low. You need a positive displacement type pump that's intended to generate more head, such as a diaphragm or peristaltic or flexible impeller pump. The other alternative would be a pump that spins a small impeller at a higher speed than what you get out of AC motors, such as a DC windshield washer pump from a car. They're small, generate relatively high heads at low flows, and don't cost a fortune. But they're not rated for continuous duty either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back