Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Small Vertical Pressure Vessel Leg Support Design 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lega213

Chemical
Feb 24, 2017
GB
Hello all, I hope someone here can help me, forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post such a question. For background, I am a chemical engineer but I've been tasked with mechanically designing a reactor (pressure vessel) so I'm not too used to mechanical designs so I'm here for some assistance.

Information about my vessel:
Diameter = 1.5m
Ellipsoidal heads
Height = 2m
Design pressure ~ 25 bars

So as the title suggests, I'm trying to design some supports for this vessel. I'm using Pressure Vessel Handbook 10th Ed by Megyesy as reference. This is the image that they provide:

lllh_orgkv1.png

My questions are:
R = radius of head, is the centre of this circle the centre of the vessel?
Is S the tensile strength of the material?
H = leverarm of load, what does this mean?
A and B aren't clear, are they the dimensions of the base plates on the bottom of the leg support?

The end of the calculations don't seem to yield anything of importance.. just that the sum of the stresses do not exceed the stress value of the girth seam, does that mean the stress calculations are just used to check if leg support is viable?

Finally, this table:

zz_iaylqo.png

mentions an angle size, what angle is this, it doesn't even mention what angle...

If anyone can help I'll be very grateful.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@ GoguGigi
Some use of manhole:
1)Welding final closure seam
2)Radiographic examination or other NDE during fabrication and in-service.
3)Cleaning
4)Surface protection: painting, lining, …..
5)Surface finish: grinding, polishing,….
6)Install / dismantle internals
7) More than one manhole may be required due confined space regulations.
8) Quick- actuating closure
9) Inspection of high stressed and high risk areas.
....and more

Pressure vessel design is not only calculations, good experience in fabrication and inspection is required too.

Regards
r6155

You can use PD 5500 for pressure vessels subject to PED 2014/68/EU, regardless of the category or module. You just have to prove, somehow, that you have satisfied the Essential Safety Requirements. This is done all the time, also with vessel to e.g. ASME VIII Div 1 (or piping design to ASME B31.3 under the PED). A few examples of explanatory guides:
- ASME PTB 10
- ASME STP PT 02
- CEN/TR 14549
- appendix N in ASME B31.3.

To expand on what XL83NL said, using a harmonised code with the PED 2014 means there is a presumption of conformity and that the code satisfies the ESRs. In the UK, it was the Pressure Equipment Regulations 1999 for PED 97, but I think it is now PER 2016, not sure if the new PED as actually been written into UK law yet...

What design pressure / operating pressure is the reactor to be designed for?

In the end I just designed a flanged head, from my perspective it does everything the manhole can do and more, also a manhole on such a small vessel will not be helpful (I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back