Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Small wind turbine in parallel with mains 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyledunn

Electrical
Dec 20, 2001
GB
May I bother you with a technical query slightly outside my capability? Consider a 1Kva wind turbine being fed on to a common single phase busbar also supplied by the grid via a standard 50Kva tx. Such a situation would be found in a typical domestic installation that has installed the micro wind turbine of the sort now widely available in retail stores. Lets suppose the load is resistive and rarely exceeds 1Kw for long periods. Can you advise if simple proportionality can be applied to assess the current drawn from the two sources (even as a rough guide) or is information required on the internal impedance of the respective sources? The kernel of my query lies in the claims made by the suppliers made about pay back period.

Regards,

Lyledunn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An excess of generation over load will cause the frequency to raise, a deficit of generation will cause the frequency to fall. The power system is operated to provide exactly 5,184,000 cycles per day, midnight-to-midnight and the power output is adjusted as necessary to cause the frequency and cycle count to drift back to where it should be. But it takes lots of generators working together to effect that drift, no single generator is going to push the system frequency around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back