Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

small wood bridge replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

miamicuse

Civil/Environmental
Nov 12, 2011
US
I have a small wood bridge over a pond at my property that needs replacement.

The existing structure has a span of 17 feet, 42" wide. The deck are all 2X4s, the substructure is three pieces of 2X6s at 0, 20", 40". The 2X6s are sitting on grout filled concrete blocks at each end, and a stack of concrete blocks in the middle about 9' from each end. Also these are not single piece 2X6s spanning the 17.5' length, they are connected at the middle support stack of blocks with a short piece of 2X6s sistered from the inside.

This bridge has been there since 1992 and was erected by the previous home owner, but is completely rotted at this point it is unsafe to walk on. The pond is only two feet deep. Location is Miami, Florida, very hot and humid, rains a lot, occasional floods.

Here are some pictures of the bridge taken last year, it is still seemingly in good shape, but the 2X6s underneath are not.

IMAG2042_ja7362.jpg

IMAG2045_yows1a.jpg

IMAG2046_jjouyr.jpg

IMAG2044_msy8tu.jpg

I am going to be draining the pond in order to repair/replace some plumbing pipes at the bottom of the pond, and will be also replacing the bridge.

I am planning on using 2X6s like the old design, but with full length 2X6s cut down from 20' stock. I will also double the 2X6s, in other words, double 2X6s at one side, double 2X6s in the middle (about 20" in), and double 2X6s at the other side, with 40" 2X4s at the top.

My biggest issue is the wood rot of the 2X6s. It is amazing (to me at least) that this bridge lasted 30 years. I tried looking for ways to maximize it's useful life.

(1) composite materials - I know composite decking is a trend now, where the advantage is no wood rot. However, all these composite decking are still sitting on lumber. So while the top of the deck may be rot free, it does not solve the problem of the framing materials below.

(2) rot and insect resistant hard wood - I looked at using some exotic hard wood such as IPE, those are virtually indestructable. However, they are incredibly expensive (even regular lumber is 4X "normal" prices right now) and they are very hard to work with. I took home some sample pieces and they do not drill well. They will require special bits and predrilling holes, my regular wood drill bit smoked trying to drill into it. You also need special screws with them, and they are HEAVY.

(3) better "treated" building lumber. Since 2004 typical pressure treated lumber has gone from being CCA treated to ACQ treated, and ACQ is more environmental friendly. However I have also seen numerous feedback from local tradesmen here that ACQ lumber rots much much faster. I went to a marine deck & dock supplier locally and they carry a 0.6CCA treated lumber said this is rated for critical structures that may get occasionally water splashes. So right now I leaning on using this material.

Which leads to my specific questions below.

(1) It is stated that pressure treated lumber is very corrosive to metal fasteners. The old bridge used galvanized nails. I am planning to use screws. What would perform better? Stainless steel screws or ceramic coated screws?

(2) I noticed many contractors are using joist tape to wrap the top edge of the substructure where it may contact the underside of the decking materials. The reason is to prevent moisture penetration. I see it used on decks, I have seen it applied to stairs, I have seen it wrapped around the bottom of fence posts where it meets soil. I would like some opinion on joist tapes, are they really effective in prolonging the life of lumber that are exposed to the elements? Here are some pictures of joist tape. Those engineers who deal with residential constructions do you spec joist tapes for decks, wood stairs and fence posts?

jt1_igm79h.jpg

jt0_oq0jju.png

jt4_qfz3zz.jpg

jte_h3d0oh.jpg

jt2_pndcaj.jpg

(3) To my amazement, the current bridge is not connected to anything. All the concrete blocks it is sitting on, the lumber and the concrete are not connected. No straps, no fasteners, no brackets of any kind. It's just gravity. I know because I went into the pond and lifted one end of it up. Do I need some kind of connections? If so what kind? Simpson's Strong Ties has some concrete to timber connection brackets I can consider, but I do not know if they can be used if the connector may be subject to water immersion occasionally.

Thanks in advance for any comment. I also want to apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, I see there is a bridge engineering forum and this is indeed a bridge, but the context is different and I am not asking so much about a bridge but about weatherproofing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It probably helps that your bridge is seeing sun exposure to dry it out. I saw some treated decking in N.C. last week and it was rotting despite being less than 10 years old.

There is a marine grade lumber that will have an extended life. See the link. You bridge is small so maybe you can afford the marine grade.

Lumber designations

Use screws to fasten the lumber together. Coated screws are probably the best. Also, use the hidden fasteners.

Simpson EB332WD316R275 EB-TY® EB332W Premium Hidden Deck Fastener™ w/ 2-1/4 in. Type 316 Screws (275-Qty)

Also, leave an air gap between the deck boards (don't butt them up tight).

Do you have a local source for pre-cast concrete beams?
And bimr is on point, use hidden fasteners, not down through the top surface.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Another option may be to use Railroad ties or bridge beams. There is a contractor near me that sells them for a reasonable price; perhaps there is something similar near you.
I've bought their stuff before. The #1s look really really nice, and the #2s pretty good (they could be hidden on your bridge)
Capture_qjcxuk.jpg
Capture2_qo25dq.jpg

EI

My opinion is that the hidden deck fasteners are not worth the effort. Use standard stainless deck screws, bugle head, Torx drive.
I wouldn't worry about connecting the deck to anything. Where is is going to go?
As to the stringers, depends on your location, but the 'exotic' hardwood is likely the best choice. Drilling should not be that hard. You need better bits.

"I wouldn't worry about connecting the deck to anything. Where is is going to go?"

If it floods deep enough, it might float away? Of course, you'd have a lot of other things to worry about at that point...

There is a marine grade lumber that will have an extended life. See the link. You bridge is small so maybe you can afford the marine grade.

The marine grade lumber you are referring to, I believe is the CCA treated lumber. Before 2004 most pressure treated lumber are CCA treated. They found arsenic agents in that so after 2004 the new PT lumber are ACQ treated, however those does rot quicker, much quicker and also they corrode metal fasteners much quicker as well. The stuff at typical lumber yards and box stores are all ACQ treated lumber. I am getting my 2X wood beams for this bridge from a deck/dock building material supplier and the lumber is the CCA treated variety. Now even CCA last longer it also has multiple retention levels. What I ordered is 0.15 retention CCA that is rated for UC4A applications. I wanted UC4B lumber but that is in short supply. Even the .15 CCA is priced at $40 a stick ouch.

As for fasteners I am still trying to find out from the manufacturers, most stuff out there are rated for ACQ treated, but not much info on CCA treated so I need to dig. May have to use SS screws.

Another option may be to use Railroad ties or bridge beams. There is a contractor near me that sells them for a reasonable price; perhaps there is something similar near you.
I've bought their stuff before. The #1s look really really nice, and the #2s pretty good (they could be hidden on your bridge)

I looked into it but many railroad ties are soaked with creosote. This may leach into the pond and affect the fish in the pond so I don't want to risk that. I have used railroad ties for planting borders last a long time and very heavy duty as long as it's not bordering edible veggies.

I wouldn't worry about connecting the deck to anything. Where is is going to go?"

If it floods deep enough, it might float away? Of course, you'd have a lot of other things to worry about at that point...

It does flood here, but not to the point of lifting the bridge. The bridge is surrounded by many concrete boulders so it will not float away. If it does get lifted it will just drift in place.

Can you get PWF lumber in your local; it's used for preserved wood foundations. Fasteners need to be SS or HDG. 2x6 on that span could be a little bouncy. Is there a need for guardrails?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Can you get PWF lumber in your local; it's used for preserved wood foundations. Fasteners need to be SS or HDG. 2x6 on that span could be a little bouncy. Is there a need for guardrails?

The bridge is only 17' long, there is a mid span support. Excluding the end support each span is less than 7 feet. The old version is three 2X6 spaced 18" apart and it didn't feel bouncy before it rotted out even when 3 people walk on it with a fully loaded wheel barrow of river rocks. I am doubling it to three sets of double 2X6s so it should be fine. No need for guardrail if anyone falls they will fall 22" to the bottom of the pond.

Would like to know if anyone has any opinion on joist tape used to wrap around the top side of lumber to minimize moisture penetration on deck substructure. Does it really work or is that a gimmick, seems to be popular in many locales now.

Putting something on top of the joists and under the walking surface planks will help shed water. Joist tape, also known as Deck Joist Flashing Tape is a reasonable product to use. If you use metal flashing, you need to make sure the material choices do not create a galvanic cell between the flashing material, the treated wood, and the screws. Aluminum flashing over CCA is known to be a particularly bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back