Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smart Components question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSLufkin

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2005
US
Hi all. I want to make a smart component of an 80/20 Anchor Fitting (Banjo). It is just a blind hole near the end of an extrusion. I've got a handle on how to do this, but the sticky part is, I would like to drag the 'smart' banjo into the assembly (so the B.O.M. is correct) and have the coresponding hole be pushed back to the frame at the part level.
You need to understand that the frame itself is a multi-body part, a weldment. I find that to be a very efficient way to make framework. The cut list is a most excellent feature.
Any thoughts??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with Eltron. You are basically trying to put the hole feature before/seperate from the part (child before the parent) laws of the universe say no.

Stugots
Mechanical Designer
SW '06 SP5.1

New information..
When I set it up as a Smart Component it does push the coresponding cut feature back to the weldment part level. Very nice. But....What it does not do is prompt me for the edges to dimension the hole from. I have to fully mate the component each time.
I would like to drop the hardware into the assembly and have it "smartly" bring in the mates that I set up when I made the smart component in the first place. I thought this might work similar to the way that a Library Feature part works. Anyone know if a Smart Component can also be a Lib. Feat. Part?
Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back