Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMB and SMC connectors for joining RF PCBs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wd4dui

Electrical
Mar 20, 2004
US
Hello all you fine Engineers. I am looking for an SMC male (Panel Mount) to SMB plug about 1.5 inches long to mate with an thru hole SMB jack or could be MCX type to SMC. Anything small and works to 3.5 GHz. The distance between the two PCBs and the SMC panel mount are critical in my application, the PCBs must be 1.75 inches apart by the time the connectors are seated. I have looked almost everywhere for this elusive connector pair. (Apparently I have not looked everywhere or otherwise would have found what I need....or maybe it does not exist.) Does anybody know where this beast is hiding? Will I have to have the thing custom made? Any one know of any companies that make custom types like this economically? Do you like movies about gladiators? How many pancakes does it take to fill a dog house?
Hopefully I can get at least two of my question answered satisfactorily, preferably the first two.

Thanks and 73
Rob
WD4DUI

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Having worked in the connector industry for 38 years, I can tell you you are going to have a lot of trouble finding this item. Also, you need to clarify the genders of each end. Male is ambiguous. Plug (pin or socket contact) is used for cable mounted connectors, and receptacle (pin or socket contact) is used for fixed mount styles. These are the standard nomenclatures in MIL-PRF-39012. I've done a little searching and have been unable to find the adapters you are looking for. Getting someone to make a small quantity at a reasonable price will be a challenge.
Try calling AEP, DELTA, E.F. Johnson, Amphenol RF, SV Microwave, Astrolab, Kings, etc. just to name a few. They may have this item but it may not be a standard or catalog item.

Good Luck,

David
WB2GOS

How about a 6" cable with a SMC panel mount on one end and the SMB on the other? Loop it around and you'll get your 1.5" with less stress on the RF connectors.

Pasternack may have something like this available in small quantities. They had very poor cable quality in the early '90s but they've gotten a lot better since then.

How big is the dog?

If you're still looking for this specialized adapter, let me know and I can recommend a custom adapter house for you. It may not be cheap, but sometimes price is no object when you can find what works.

thuan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back