Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SMF Beam-Column Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENGJP22

Structural
Nov 2, 2020
DO
Hi everyone, I have this doubt, when we are detailing a Beam-Column Joint at roof level in a SMF, whats the proper way to do it? The literature that I have read, doesnt show this kind of case and the ACI doesnt explicitly tells you how to do it. The longitudinal top reinforcement of the beam should be encased by the longitudinal reinforcement of the column in the joint? is it possible that the longitudinal reinforcement of the column doesnt get to top of roof and just stays below the beam top longitudinal reinforcement for constructability purposes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No.. the longitudinal reinforcement of the columns shall extent to the top , properly confined and anchored .The joints in SMF moment are required to transfer moments, shears, and axial forces btw the interconnected beams and columns so, the joints need to be stronger than the connected members . However, for the roof storey , strong column - weak beam is not a requirement .
Your question does not address if the roof column is corner or tee . A have attached the corner column detail . ( copy and paste from ( Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Buildings-Jack Moehle )

SMF_BEAM_COLUMN_JOINT_afefej.jpg

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

HTURTAK said:
No.. the longitudinal reinforcement of the columns shall extent to the top , properly confined and anchored .The joints in SMF moment are required to transfer moments, shears, and axial forces btw the interconnected beams and columns so, the joints need to be stronger than the connected members
Hi, yes, thats how I think it should be done but the ACI doesnt explicitly says that we should do it like that, I dont know if there's some section within ACI-318 that says it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back