Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Smoke dampers required to be connected to FACP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGENE

Electrical
Jul 2, 2004
US
NFPA 72 (2002) 6.15.5.2 states "If connected to the fire alarm system-------" Is there anywhere in the code that states that dampers must be connected to the FACP?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NFPA does not recommend ANYTHING, the code is there to tell you HOW it must be if it IS installed.

the IFC 2000 code and IBC, along w/ others is where to look.

I do have the IFC 2000 but I also have the new one 2003 and the IBC and the 2002 NFPA 72. Apparently according to the code there is an option to even connect the dampers. "If" they are connected are the words used. I was trying to find somewhere that said you had to connect Dampers to the FACP. AHJs require different things from county to county and some don't enforse the code because they don't know it. Some of them are getting better. Thank you for your comment.

If the smoke dampers have built-in smoke detectors, a UL listed assembly, I beleive those "smoke detectors" do not have to be connceted to FACP per NFPA.

But if the smoke dampers are also required to be closed, by code, upon detection of smoke in the area served by the smoke dampers or other action such as EPO in a computer room, the controls need to be wired such that such smoke dampers close upon detection of smoke or activation of an EPO in the areas served by the smoke damper. (This in addition to it being able close upon smoke by its own detector)

In practical sense, it is always better to know why a damper closed, and hence it is good to conncet the smoke detector to (or monitor its alaram contact via) the FACP.

You can check with mechanical, but I beleive there smoke dampers available which are listed for use with a 'system' smoke detector. ( I think.....)

Not sure of your exact system design, but consider the following reference:

NFPA 90A (2002)

6.4.4.2.1 Smoke detectors used solely for closing dampers or for heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning system shutdown shall not be required to activate the building evacuation alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back