Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smooth Spline Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEAEAEAE

Aerospace
Dec 16, 2011
US
I have created a spline in the sketcher mode, and wish to use the "Smooth Spline" Command, however once I exit the sketcher (as the help has told me to do) I am unable to select the spline once I start using the command. What am I doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, what version of NX are you running (in this case it won't really matter, I just want you get into the habit of always telling us this info upfront)?

The spline is part of a Sketch feature and as such, can not be acted on outside of the sketcher as if it were a separate curve. That's just the way Sketches behave. If you're looking to manipulate a curve after creating it, create the spline as its own feature, manipulate it (smooth) as you desire and then if really want to have it part of a Sketch, then create your Sketch and add or project the spline into the Sketch feature.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Luckily I was able to figure it out. I'm not sure why it wasn't working before. I actually have another problem you may be able to help with. I'm using NX 7.5, and I have just used the "fit spline" command and imported coordinates via a data file. When I try to move the spline (both translation and rotation) the spline changes shape drastically. How can I avoid this? Thank you!

More information would be helpful. How many data points are you importing and what options are you using in the fit spline command? To move the spline are you using the 'move object' command (if so, what options) or something else?

I'm just using the "move object" command and dynamic method for moving the spline. It's approximately 100 points. My spline is an airfoil and has one coincident point at the trailing edge. I have found that this only occurs with splines which have coincident points.

I assume that when you say that the spline has "coincident points" that what you mean is that the first and last points are the same point, eh? If so, why didn't you just skip picking the last point and instead use the 'Closed' option when creating the spline?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

That is indeed what I meant. The only problem with deleting the last point and then closing the spline is that the trailing edge should be a sharp edge, not rounded. Also...I have a few sheet bodies that I would like to convert to just references...any suggestions? Sorry for all the simple questions...I'm really new to NX.

If you're creating actual point objects which the spline is passing through, when you transform the spline, make sure that the 'Move Parents' option is toggled ON the 'Move Object' dialog.

Not exactly sure what you mean by converting a sheet body to be "just reference". If you mean that you would like to remove the parametrics (unlink it from it's parents making it non-associative) then that can be accomplished by going to...

Edit -> Feature -> Remove Parameters...

...and select the sheet bodies of interest.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

John thank you very much, both for your help and patience. I'm a pretty avid CATIA user, however I'm trying to become more NX oriented. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back