Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Smoothing surfaces SW2015 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanovi

Mechanical
Nov 20, 2015
BG
Hello,

I am trying to make a complex shape in Solidworks and the only thing that I can;t fix is smoothing boundaries between surfaces. The model is based on a 3D sketch. Most of the surfaces are "Filled surface' and some of them "Boundary" When I try to set a tangent edges an error occurs. Also I am not able to make a fillet between surfaces, even after knit to solid body. Please help! Do I need to make changes in 3D sketch?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7667ac32-eb43-4b81-8e93-e5c9e654d546&file=Image_1.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cool kayak paddle. I would try to use boundary surfaces over lofts in general. Create the larger or most critical surfaces first. Starting again with fewer surfaces is probably a good idea. Be sure to use curvature, zebra stripes and deviation analysis as you go. Screen captures of your model with these diagnostics are attached below.

Once you rebuild you model post it up for other to learn or for continued help. I hope this helps.
Rob

Image_1320_lawd41.png

Image_1321_a8f8xj.png

Image_1322_ynmapd.png

Rob Stupplebeen
OptimalDevice.com/blog
Rob's LinkedIn

Hello,

Actually mirroring is making the problems with lines in the center. I am working on new strategy now. I am trying to use lofts and boundaries only to build the model and trying to make as bigger surface groups as I can. I will post the result.

Best regards,
Ivaylo

Hello again,

I have a very big success using lofts and boundaries and a small number of surfaces. But now a new problem occurs. I use the Freeform feature to make my desired shape, but it results in error with message that the face is self-intersecting. I run the Check feature and the is no gaps in the model. Also tried to make the Freeform just after building the loft surface (before knit to solid) and the same error occurs again. Attaching a picture and the SW file.

Thanks!

Ivaylo

Image_1_es9oan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back