Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMPS 12V 6Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

I'd like to make a SMPS which can supply 12V ( or better adjustable between 11V and 13V ) at 6Amp and take 220Vac as input. ( And of course at the lowest possible cost ).

I've searched the web but i haven't find what i was looking for.

Is some one can help me ?

Tanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to take a look at the applications articles available at:
I know that there are 12volt 20Amps designs there.

In your design, you might consider using a step-down transformer from 220 to say something like 18volts. This would eliminate having to find parts that will work at the rectified peak voltage delivered from the 220volt line. This might make the overall design safer as well, since your output would now be isolated from the 220volts. Just a thought.
Good luck with your efforts.

Tanx for the link i'll look there.

For the step down transformer, I'd like to avoid it because I find them HUGE and EXPENSIVE ... When I look at my PC alimentation, it provides 12V at 10A, 5V at 25A and several other voltages and it's not too big. So I'd like to make something about of this size but with less component ( I don't need all these voltages ) so it can be cooled more easly ( silently )

Yes, the PC power supply does what you say, but equally important it prevents exposure to potentially lethal voltages inside of it.
Please make sure you use adequate precautions when working with voltages of these levels, and make sure no one else can come into accidental contact with them.
The link I gave you will show you such a supply. For others, you can look at:

Tanx for theses links.
Of course the alimentation must be well isolated and in all scheme i've see the HighV part is CLEARLY separated/isolated for the other side by opto-switch ( don't know the exact translation ) and transfo.

About buying one have you some links ? I live in belgium ( near France ) and It's not so easy to find an alimentation that fits my need. The only I found at my usual resseller is based on linear regulation ( 10 cm * 15 cm * 15 cm with a big fan , not exactly what i'm looking for ).

But sure I also got the problem of buying the components ... Finding an IRIS4013 for example is not easy if i don't want to buy 2000 units ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back