Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snow Load - Sliding Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFreund

Structural
Aug 14, 2010
US
In ASCE 7-10 it states that sliding snow does not need to be taken in combination with drift, unbalanced or partial snow loads. This seems counterintuitive. Can anyone provide some insight on where this comes from?

It seems like you could have drift and sliding snow, no?

EIT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They are probably rationalizing that there is only so much snow - if it is drifted from the high roof, there is no snow to slide. They also may be reaching for the fact that the drift may stop snow from sliding off the roof, but it would have to be full height so i doubt it.

I would think in certain situations, where the roof height differential is substantial, you would want to combine the two effects. At worst its conservative versus the code, so it shouldnt be a problem.

A source you could try for an answer is the snow load guide ASCE publishes. I think you can even email the author of the guide (roark? I think he wrote the majority of the code too) for questions.

Canadian code requires a combination of both, but in their case the sliding snow is also a tapered load unlike the uniform load in ASCE.

I have a question similar, so I'll just put it here:

In general, should different snow loads be combined in general? For instance, should drift loads be applied with partial loading? Or should they be considered separate cases?

- Aaron

What version of IBC 2009 are you looking at? My copy of the code shows only one paragraph for Section 1608.1 that simply says looks at Chapter 7 of ASCE 7. No figures, tables, charts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back