Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNUBBER FOR SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOFREEZE

Electrical
Nov 14, 2007
US
I HAVE A 10.1W SOLENOID VALVE THAT IS OPERATED WITH A SSR I AM TRYING TO SIZE THE CORRECT RESISTOR AND CAP ACCROSS THE CONTACTS BUT HAVE READ SLIGHTY CONFLICTING INFO.
THE VALVE:
120VAC 60HZ
70 VA INRUSH BY MY MATH .583 AMP

I AM GETTING
R=237 C=.033MFD
R=206 C=.033MFD
R=188 C=.062MFD
R=22 C=.067MFD
R=100 C=.1MFD

cOULD SOME PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about an MOV if you're only concerned about transient suppression? A 130V, 10 joule usually works well for that on smaller loads like a 10W coil.

Your last values should work fine or use 100ohms and 0.22MFD. It's not too critical. Go too small in resistor value though (like 22ohms) and you could cause the SSR to fail due to the snubber.

But then, as already suggested, a MOV would work fine too. I'd go to a higher voltage MOV, like 160V or so though or it could fail due to the current flow on the peaks of the voltage.

Hello all!
I have a question, that I am sure is simple to you guys.
My understanding of PLC's is only basic, so go easy on me lol.
The question is this, can I use my mobile phone, through a PLC, to switch on and off household appliiances, like heating, washing machine, and lights etc.
Telemecanique Zelio, with remote communication module seems to tick all the boxes.
How hard would this mobile remote system be to set up?
It would be really handy to have full control of my house from my mobile.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back