Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

So I didn't get the job, because a question that I asked. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0c123

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2006
US
Just graduated with a MS in Mechanical Engineering and interviewed with this japanese company with a small office in the U.S.

The job description listed many things that an ME is qualified for, such as motors, electromechanical, CAD, and failure analysis. Primarily the job was to interact with clients, write proposals and performance assessments.

The 1st interview consisted of 1 on 1 talks with 4 people. The first guy tells me this is a software engineer position, which briefly caught me off guard. Furthermore, I really don't understand WHY it was not clearly written in the job description. HR literally didn't know much about the position when I was initially contacted. Just gave me like a 2-4 word description. When I was confirmed for the interview weeks later, they sent me the job description.

Anyway, the 1st interviewer quickly told me they just wanted a person with a mechanical background to help write software code for their products. Well it wasn't a problem, since I've had much programming experience in the past where I needed to learn a new language (basic, matlab, c++ etc). Overall the interview lasted 2 hrs.

I felt that talking to 2 of the 4 interviewers was difficult, because english was their 2nd language (they were japanese). Therefore, they had difficulty understanding my responses, answering my questions, and asking a question. However they were probably the most important people to talk to since they were directors, and senior managers.

A couple of days go by and they wanted me in for a 2nd interview. Overall they liked me and were interested; however, one of the managers felt that I was too serious in the interview and needed to relax. Another thing was difficult to explain in english, but HR gave me an example by saying if we asked you out for a drink, would you go? I somewhat understand, which might be regarding if I would get along/ be a teamplayer with others. Personally, I thought their overall feedback was ridiculous. But regardless of that, they still wanted me in for a 2nd interview. The interviewer probably felt intimidated by me since he had trouble understanding clear english or maybe I was being too professional. Too professional?

SO i go in for a 2nd interview expecting to be bombarded with behavioral interview type questions, since they said it would be a chance for them to get to know me better and them as well. This time 2 different people interviewed me at the same time, which was another japanese manager and a software engineer who had been with the company for 3 years.

The interviewed turned out to be the same as the first. Although it was 2 people, the software engineer seemed to do most of the talking by asking me question about my resume and qualifications. Since the manager was japanese, communication was difficult just as the 1st interview. To me they both looked very inexperienced at interviewing.

After that the initial question about my qualifications, they give me tour of the facility and back to the office for me to ask questions. HR calls me back and tells me the company is going to pass on me. The reason being that it seemed i didn't look too interested in the job, because I asked about moving around to different positions. I remember asking the japanese manager if I would be able to move around within the company to gain more experience from different departments. I've always felt that it is good to put more tools in your toolbox by gaining more experience from different departments. I gave a slightly similar response during the 1st interview, when I was asked," where do you see yourself in 5 years." After thinking about, the manager must have misunderstood. Seriously, I really thought that was a good question to see how the position would evolve.

It still somewhat bothers me on the reason for not being hired. I decided to contact one of japanese friends, who works with a company with a similar history to get an opinion about my interview. He said that my question was bad, because japanese co don't want you to move around. Especially considering that this was a small office 20-30 people and most if not all the managers were japanese. Also I might have been better off not working there since I do not speak japanese. In his experience, I would regularly run into a situation... did that manager understand me at all? He just nodded his head and smiled... which is what a typical asian who immigrated to the U.S. does.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interacting with folks from different cultures can be problematic, especially if compounded by the language issues that often accompany such situations.

I find dealing with our field service staff from various Asian countries a nightmare.

That said, I think a lesson here might be that you should have been asking these questions after the first interview, or even better before the first if you had any indication some of the interviewers might be from a different cultural background. Do your research and be prepared, that kind of thing.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

jai yen yen . . . relax, calm down . . .

i'll second Greg's response . . .

not too worry . . . effective communications is crucial and when placed in a situation where your patience & communications skills were tested, you may have become uncomfortable . . . if you are interested in working with others from other countries, ya should do some cultural & language learning beforehand.

do not sweat it . . . meanwhile, good luck!
-pmover

>>>i didn't look too interested in the job, because I asked about moving around to different positions.<<<

It's a perfectly legitimate question.

It may also not be the actual reason you were passed over.

Some cultures will never come out and say "no" in any direct way; this can lead to a lot of misunderstandings.

Some cultures might consider it rude for a candidate to just flat ask "Why?". ... just as they might consider it rude, even insubordinate, for an employee to ask the same question, about _anything_.

You are probably better off anywhere else.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks for the insight. Yea I did my research on the company background etc. I was told early on who I would be interviewing with. The name given had no indication that it was going to be a japanese manager. Only after I got there, it was someone else. The name of the guy that was given to me initially didn't come in until after the 1st interviewer finished. Actually same thing with the 2nd interview. I was told to ask for Mr. X (basically the 1st interviewer, who had some negative feedback about me). However, it turned out to be 2 different people.

Well I did ask that question during the 1st interview. I think the reason i asked that particular question in the 2nd interview is because it felt like a 1st interview.

Yea the language issue bugged me, but I believe communication is important. I've had tons of situations from academic projects where we screwed up big time over a simple miscommunication from not understanding. Also, I recently brought my car into a shop to have the valve stems replaced on all 4 tires. The tech for some reason replaced all my tires instead. It turns out the tech had trouble reading the handwriting on the work order and assumed it said to replace my tires with X brand without asking for clarification.

Your interviews remind me of when I interviewed for the police dept (LAPD) approx 16 years ago. The questions were geared toward how my reactions were toward certain normal circumstances and physical posture. I failed because I responded calm to being yelled at.

Not sure what it may have been, but the company that interviewed may have been trying to fish for something but couldn't legally ask you. They did or did not get what they wanted, so passed.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

geez where is the edit button? Was writing my response when 2-4 more people posted.

I've interviewed with other asian based companies before, but this one was unique in that 4 out of 6 of the interviewers were non-native english speakers. I didn't do much language or culture based research, because I'm asian as well, so I thought I was a close enough match and knew enough. This might been why I was contacted in the first place. HR thought I spoke japanese.

"Not sure what it may have been, but the company that interviewed may have been trying to fish for something but couldn't legally ask you. They did or did not get what they wanted, so passed."

You know I got the feeling from one of the questions during the 1st interview. I wasn't expecting it, so it caught me off guard, but I answered it the best I could.

"A lot of words to say "blown interview". It happens. Move along. Find another customer."

I don't even consider it anyway near a blown interview. Now the one I had with Northorp Grumman for intern about 2 years ago... that was a blown interview.

You can do everything right, survive the interview and still get bounced.
Some years ago I interviewed for a job with a maker of unmanned aircraft.
One of my references told them that I was a great guy , I knew my stuff , but I talked too much.
This was for a job that required a security clearance.
Of course after hearing this I did not get the job and I lost a friend.
B.E.

Be glad You don't work for the Japanese,
I've worked for a Jap co. for about 7 months and was glad to leave there.
It' a strange culture, and I before I got there, I thought they were inventive.
It worked out different.
They only like You when they see you.
It meant a lot of overwork.
Some 'worked' for 19 hours a day(they were present because they wanted a brown arm)
And indeed, the non-Japanese didn't understand much of what they were saying.

My boss always says:

"You can be something to someone some of the time but not everything to everyone all of the time"

Adriaan.
I am an Engineer/part time student (Mechatronics) from South Africa.
Advice from lecturer: "Be warned - when you go into industry your boss will give you a thousand things to do and he wants them done yesterday!" So far he is right...

Do not read too much in interviews that are too formal. HR or employers who make interview process an "event" and interviewee a lab animal, are usually not worth working for.

Find someone who knows what they really need and what they are talking about.

Rafiq Bulsara

Do I take it this was an opportunity that didn't come via an agency?

Good agencies usually want to analyse the outcomes so they can put forward a better match the next time or better prepare their candidates.
Not sure how many good agencies there are, but a good deal more go through the same motions as the good agencies and they should then report back to the candidate and some may re-interview the candidate themselves so they can better represent them.

They ought also to prep the candidate for the interview and that would include all sorts of advise on do's and don'ts.
(One don't is wear aftershave/strong perfume, proper attire etc..)
But another is how to ask the sorts of questions likely to create a good impression and avoid asking those that don't.
Some of these questions are asked simply for that reason only and you shouldn't ask questions that do not generate a positive attitude.
There are always other ways to learn what you want to learn if you really want the answer.....

It is often a good idea to ask about future career progression whether you really care about it or not. But it appears this isn't a good question for this employer and the sort of advise you got from your friend after the event would have come from your agency because they already know the answer.
Career progression is your responsibility and your choice of job is a step on that road but it doesn't have to be with that company. Hence this would only be a meaningful question if it created the right impression.

If the situation with working for a Japanese company is that they want people who will work at the same job till they drop, then you have to view the job on the basis that you will get your next step somewhere else.

Researching a company is evidently about more than what they make and what they pay.

On the other hand, if I were interviewing directly and not via an agency, I would have made the same mistake and more. There is sometimes a benefit from agencies and there is a warning if the company you are interviewing with is not using agencies.....

JMW

Actually it was through an agency. From your description, it seems this one isn't too good. I hear different opinions towards agencys both positive and negative.

This particular agent did not interview me in person and we just contacted each other through phone calls. I had some when i was initially contacted. Agent found my resume from monster.com and just wanted my permission to submit the resume to the client. I said ok, but do you want to do anything else, like maybe a cover letter? Agent said nothing else and just sent in my resume.

I follow-up a week later and the clients response was that my resume does not seem like I am interested for the type of work that the company does. Well obviously it doesn't! Because it was from monster.com, which was tailored to be as general as possible to reach to numerous type of jobs. So the agent askes me to tailor up my resume to match the companies engineering focus. Then a land an interview a few weeks later. As I said before, the agents job description was incredibly vague even after I asked numerous times for more info.

As for interview prep there was none. I called the agent a few days before to maybe get some ideas on the type of interview that the company would do, but the agents information didn't offer much help. Just told me to read the company's website, which is already an obvious thing to do.

I interviewed with an agent from Aerotek, which was face-to-face. They would prep me for the actual job interviews and allow me to tailor the resume. However I haven't really found any job posting through Aerotek that I am qualified for.

Ah, sounds like one of those get rich quick agencies.
They just scour the applications vacant and submit a raft of resumes culled from the internet.
A decent agency will often be contracted to a number of major employers and will know exactly the right kind of people to deliver. They are then the ones who are careful to only submit suitably screened and prepared candidates because their success depends on developing a rep for always supplying the right candidate for the job.
Of course, this justifies them in charging either you or the employer or both a hefty fee.

There are some who pretend to be able to find you all sorts of executive positions but you have to pay them up front before they even have a job opening to send you to. It may work but I always figured these guys were scammers too.

JMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back