Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

So I didn't get the job, because a question that I asked. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0c123

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2006
US
Just graduated with a MS in Mechanical Engineering and interviewed with this japanese company with a small office in the U.S.

The job description listed many things that an ME is qualified for, such as motors, electromechanical, CAD, and failure analysis. Primarily the job was to interact with clients, write proposals and performance assessments.

The 1st interview consisted of 1 on 1 talks with 4 people. The first guy tells me this is a software engineer position, which briefly caught me off guard. Furthermore, I really don't understand WHY it was not clearly written in the job description. HR literally didn't know much about the position when I was initially contacted. Just gave me like a 2-4 word description. When I was confirmed for the interview weeks later, they sent me the job description.

Anyway, the 1st interviewer quickly told me they just wanted a person with a mechanical background to help write software code for their products. Well it wasn't a problem, since I've had much programming experience in the past where I needed to learn a new language (basic, matlab, c++ etc). Overall the interview lasted 2 hrs.

I felt that talking to 2 of the 4 interviewers was difficult, because english was their 2nd language (they were japanese). Therefore, they had difficulty understanding my responses, answering my questions, and asking a question. However they were probably the most important people to talk to since they were directors, and senior managers.

A couple of days go by and they wanted me in for a 2nd interview. Overall they liked me and were interested; however, one of the managers felt that I was too serious in the interview and needed to relax. Another thing was difficult to explain in english, but HR gave me an example by saying if we asked you out for a drink, would you go? I somewhat understand, which might be regarding if I would get along/ be a teamplayer with others. Personally, I thought their overall feedback was ridiculous. But regardless of that, they still wanted me in for a 2nd interview. The interviewer probably felt intimidated by me since he had trouble understanding clear english or maybe I was being too professional. Too professional?

SO i go in for a 2nd interview expecting to be bombarded with behavioral interview type questions, since they said it would be a chance for them to get to know me better and them as well. This time 2 different people interviewed me at the same time, which was another japanese manager and a software engineer who had been with the company for 3 years.

The interviewed turned out to be the same as the first. Although it was 2 people, the software engineer seemed to do most of the talking by asking me question about my resume and qualifications. Since the manager was japanese, communication was difficult just as the 1st interview. To me they both looked very inexperienced at interviewing.

After that the initial question about my qualifications, they give me tour of the facility and back to the office for me to ask questions. HR calls me back and tells me the company is going to pass on me. The reason being that it seemed i didn't look too interested in the job, because I asked about moving around to different positions. I remember asking the japanese manager if I would be able to move around within the company to gain more experience from different departments. I've always felt that it is good to put more tools in your toolbox by gaining more experience from different departments. I gave a slightly similar response during the 1st interview, when I was asked," where do you see yourself in 5 years." After thinking about, the manager must have misunderstood. Seriously, I really thought that was a good question to see how the position would evolve.

It still somewhat bothers me on the reason for not being hired. I decided to contact one of japanese friends, who works with a company with a similar history to get an opinion about my interview. He said that my question was bad, because japanese co don't want you to move around. Especially considering that this was a small office 20-30 people and most if not all the managers were japanese. Also I might have been better off not working there since I do not speak japanese. In his experience, I would regularly run into a situation... did that manager understand me at all? He just nodded his head and smiled... which is what a typical asian who immigrated to the U.S. does.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yea I've been contacted by a few staffing agency's ever since I put up my resume on monster.

I think it was just this particular agent that didn't want to do the extra work. A friend worked with a different staffing agenct in the same agency and got the face-to-face interview and some prep work.

Personally, I think the only reason the agent went the extra mile to help me land an interview is because I found out the company's name, which was confidential. This was because I had two friends from college that worked there. I'm pretty sure that pulled some weight to get me the initial interview.

After writing that all that garbage in the first post, the best way to summarize it, was that I was bothered that I got "punished" for asking a valid question. Never has that happened before. You go to school and are constantly encouraged to ask questions. Compared to many schools overseas that don't have that encouragement.

Well as others have stated, it's time to move on. Thanks for all the responses and motivation.

companies have different ways in searching the right person for the job they are offering

it is also varies with the interviewer
maybe the interviewer sense that you are not interested because you are hurrying to move from other department while they are actually needs an employee for that certain position only

the job is not for you (right now maybe)

i know that Japanese loves hardworking people, they are more on the technical sides and how they will gain knowledge with you. there's a language barrier of course, but from what i know, Japanese appreciate people who tries to learn their language, because they also have a hard time learning english

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds

OK...this is a true story I'll never forget.

I was interviewed for a job. It went OK. They called me back and said that I wasn't really what they were after, but that I deserved a chance for a second interview so that they could get to know me better.

I went to a second interview. There, they gave me a written psychiatric evaluation type of test to find out what kind of personality category I best fit into.

They called me for a third interview, but this time, they put me on a plane to meet a regional manager for dinner in another city. They told me to buy a different colour sports jacket for that interview. I flew up, had the interview, and went home.

About a week later, they called me for a fourth interview and said that they had narrowed it down to two candidates: me and someone else. During that interview, they told me that they felt I was a strong candidate, but that I had no sense of humour and probably didn't communicate with people less intelligent than me.

My response:

"On the topics of having no sense of humour and not communicating well with people less intelligent than me, well, I am here talking to you now, am I not?"

They gave the job to the other guy. He lasted four days. By the time they called me back and made me an offer, I had found something else and was forced to decline.

I never did develop a sense of humour, and I still don't communicate well with people less intelligent than me. Or, so the legend goes.

Something else will come along...as one of my trusted colleagues often says, "We can laugh about it now.".

Regards,

SNORGY.

Zero,
It doesn't really even seem like it was a good job for you given your description. It probably had not much to do with you question so much as it had to do with your background. If it truly was a software position then you probably were not qualified and if it was just a position overseeing software guys you would probably have been a bit overqualified. They were probably concerned that the position really didn't match what you went into it wanting, and when you asked about movement within the company it would have confirmed your lack of interest.

Overall it sounds like the job wasn't for you and they knew it, so what is the problem? Isn't it for the best that you got turned down?
-AAFuni

"..This was because I had two friends from college that worked there..." There's a chance to feel the place out right there.

There's also deliberate quasi-informality in japanese business. For instance I was going through business correspondence between americans and japanese customers. The japanese always started off 'how are you joe-san? The weather here is beautiful, the cherry blossoms are out.. then got down to business. I could see where the US side picked up on it and started to echo it back 'Kinishi-san, how are your daughters? Last I knew Sarariman are supposed to go out and pound sapporos or sake w/ the boss pretty frequently.

I worked for a Japanese company and they more or less told me (thru my manager) that my current position was where I was expected to work forever. So I can imagine it was a bad question to ask about moving around within the company. I noticed that they never promoted from within. Even going so far as to hire management that had no experience with our product. We lost a lot of people because of it.

But I believe it is a very reasonable question.

"On the topics of having no sense of humour and not communicating well with people less intelligent than me, well, I am here talking to you now, am I not?"

For the record, I think that's pretty funny!

@aafuni,
Yes and No. I was interested based on the original description that was given to me asking for a mechanical engineer. After hearing that it was for a software engineer from the 1st interviewer, I got somewhat uninterested and confused for a moment. But all that immediately got dismissed after the interviewer clarified the information. The work is stuff I've done in mechatronics, so it was nothing I hadn't done before. I just had to do alot of explaining about why my resume did not scream out software engineer qualifications. Wonder why it didn't *sarcasm* Idno why they didn't post software engineer or tell the agent that. Might have done it to see my reaction at the interview.

@moon161
I got a chance to talk both friends before and during the interview. Nothing really showed me that it was bad. Well one looked tired and fatigued, but he was always a workaholic. The other had been there for only about 7 months and he didn't have any negative comments to day. They worked in a different department, so they couldn't really comment on how my department was.

I understand exactly where you are coming from in this post. I have worked in Japanese automotive for 7 years now. But it is interesting that they passed on you because you asked about movement. Most want employees that are willing to work in different areas and want to learn. This was the basis for me moving into engineering where I am. But, do not grade each Japanese company on one experience they are all different, even though they are from the same country. It is just as different as northern US and southern.

Waidesworld:

I don't follow Big Bang.

Alas, I have no basis to relate re: Sheldon. Does he have a sense of humour?

I envy people who have senses of humour. I wonder how much further I might have gone...what I might have become...with a sense of humour.

Perhaps an MBA?

Regards,

SNORGY.

Lots of people with no sense of humour have gone on to greatness.
To be fair, they usually have to be deposed by global warfare or revolution, but still, it does show you don't actually need a sense of humour to get to the top.

JMW

Speaking of blowing an interview. I was interviewing for a position for a company that does blow molding of automobile hoses. I asked the question "So this seems like a specialized process and do I need to worry about being pigeonholed into this company?

But instead of pigeonholed I said "CORNHOLED". He looked at me funny for a minute while it sunk in what I had just said. We kind of laughed awkwardly as I tried to explain what I meant to say and then I went on my merry way.

I interviewed with a place, and my reaction to a question about my willingess to travel to Chinese vendors probably lost any chances I had there. I hesitated, and stumbled on that question. Wasn't ready for it at all. I'd lost a previous job to Chinese competition, so chinese trade was (and still is) a sore subject with me. Probably for the best though.

David

zer0c123, was this company in Davis California? I had a very similar experience right out of school. I was offered the job but declined because a different mechanical engineering job also gave me an offer at the same time (and this job was ACTUALLY mechanical, not software).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back