Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

soccer field grading

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddsgeotech

Civil/Environmental
Nov 8, 2002
US
Can anyone recommend reference or guidance documents or just "rules of thumb" for soccer field grading?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with your local soccer association. Also, check your local library for a copy of Architectural Graphic Standards. There should be information on playing fields of all kinds in that reference.

I checked a reference that an associate had entitled: "Graphic Standards for Landscape Architecture". It shows SIZES of soccer fields but gives no guidance on grading that I saw. The AIA Graphical Standards for Design costs over $200 and has to be ordered in my area. Do you know for sure that the AIA book has recommended grades? I'm worried that since the first book doesn't have it, the AIA won't either.

I will follow up on the idea of the local soccer association.

Thanks

I checked the "AIA Architectural Graphic Standards" by Ramsey & Sleeper and also "Time-Saver Standards" by Callender. Both have the plan layout of the fields, but not guidance on the drainage grading.

Without information from some other source, I would grade the field with a crown down the long centerline of the field and drain to each side line at 1.5% - 2.0% depending on the width of the field and the existing grades. Anything less in turf will allow standing water.

I did purchase "Sports Fields: A manual for design, construction, and maintenance" by Puhalla, et al. It says soccer fields are normally graded at 1% to 1.75% either crowned or graded all the way across. Since the client on my project is very concerned about drainage, I am thinking about including some drain systems, in addition to requiring a sandy soil. The book recommends "Strip drains", which are cloth-wrapped polyethylene stuctures about an inch wide and 4" to 6" deep. These are buried in narrow trenches, about 12" deep, which are filled with sand all the way to the surface. I'm still researching how far apart these drains will be. Any thoughts on this? Is this overkill? Will the grass die off over these trenches and leave brown streaks across the field? The site is in the Northeast.

Thanks

A lot depends on your local soil. If you have a well draining soil below the turf, then the underdrains are overkill in my opinion. If you have a heavy clay that won't drain away the surface water, then the underdrains begin to make some sense. In either case, I would provide some type of drain system along the sidelines that you are grading too. A soccer field is a big area and collects a lot of water and directing it to the sidelines makes for a big lake.

I think I would talk to some local landscapers regarding the turf and subsoil. They should have some information specific to your local. Also, I wouldn't go less than 1.5% on the grades.

Good luck!

1.5% is good how ever if your stuck with levels and flat terrain i would go down to 0.5% but would only be in last case senario

Regards

Rj

I have three words for this. Drainage, drainage, drainage.It is important that a storm or heavy rainfall event does not perch on the playing surface but is allowed to seep away quickly so the field is usable as soon as possible. Here in the Northwest we build soccer fields almost as if they are putting greens.Coincidently, we are currently building one here that is being put to use as a stormwater retention area. Good luck

Dooley,

Interesting comments, especially the dual use as a soccer field and detention basin. I thought of a third use, after a rain storm they can play water polo! <G>

I agree drainage is the main thing. I can't see using a slope of less than 1.5% on turf, water just doesn't move very fast on less than that. If the surface were concrete or asphalt, then 0.5% might make some sense, BUT think of all the asphalt parking lots you see with &quot;bird baths&quot; in them. I remember reading somewhere that the minimum slope on asphalt shouldn't be less than 0.75%.

There is some literature about for Sand Playing fields. I designed one in Vancouver area a long time back. We used sand drains (at 5 ft spacing I believe _memory is fuzzy sometimes_) The drains had slotted pvc in them, they were shallow simple cuts; backfilled with coarse sand; then the field had medium to fine sand under the turf. There was a good little handbook on it but it is in storage somewhere. One thing, though, with such a field - you sometimes get &quot;green lines&quot; where the drains are - wetter.

[cheers]

Do a web search....drainage is important, but you dont want so much slope that the field becomes unplayable. I found a quick reference at that suggests a 10&quot; to 18&quot; crown in the middle of the field.

If the particular project can afford it and getting water off the field quickly is vital...and undrain system would be reccommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back