Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sodium flood light goes off at large motor starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimseunghee

Electrical
Jul 12, 2007
KR
I was reported that the sodium flood light went off when large motor was starting. sodium flood light(220V) is fed from emergency lighting switchboard while large motor(6.6kV) is fed from main switchboard. 2 minutes later flood light is back on. What are all possible reasons we consider and what are countermeasures against happening ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Asking for all possible reasons is a bit of an over reach. Besides, there is only one reason and you've already given it, the motor started. Look at what happens to your electrical system when the motor starts, there's your answer. Just be glad that it was HPS, not MH so you didn't have to wait 5 minutes or longer for the lamp to restrike.

it seem to me that the design of your switchgear and its downstream emergency lighting DB are not properly designed, thats why you have a voltage drop on your emer. lighting DB.

The majority of the volt drop will occur because of the generator characteristics, which makes the previous statement rather judgemental and very likely wrong.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Yup, the reason would be the motor starting caused a voltage drop in your power system.

One possible solution is a ferroresonant constant voltage transformer such as a Sola/Hevi-Duty for this flood light - assuming you have a problem with one flood light like your post seems to suggest.

A better solution would be to change out the fixture. Just go to motion sensed incandescent, or use a few compact fluorescent floods, or get a sodium ballast with a axillary incandescent back up, or just wire a UPS in to carry the fixture thru the starting surges.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back