Sodium Hypochlorite Tank for Drinking Water Well 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

djcbgn

Civil/Environmental
Feb 14, 2004
US
Hello,

I am working on a design of a drinking water production well (100 gpm) in a small town that's water supply is supported by several drinking water wells. My question is related to the tank size to use for 12.5% sodium hypochlorite feed system. The amount of sodium hypochlorite used per day will be about 2 gallons or about 60 gallons per month. I am unsure about whether I should use one tank or two smaller tanks and I want to be sure I set this up best for chemical delivery. Any comments on the best way to handle this?

Thanks

DJC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Might last you a few months but could you handle an IBC?

They come in many sizes, but typically 275 or 330 gallons.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

OP,
What quantity is it delivery in and how much lead time is there between the order and delivery? I would say a delivery a month would be reasonable, but it may be more cost effective every 2-3 months or longer.
Is there a maximum quantity the AHJ let you have on site?
Consider order quantity. What's the standard bulk delivery?
So, just to consider quantity required for usage, how long it takes for a delivery and an additional buffer in case the delivery is delayed for some reason. 60 gallons, week for delivery ~15 gal, week buffer ~15 gal, so a 90-100 gal tank if it is getting refilled monthly but if standard bulk quantity is 100 gal let say, then you'd need to adjust for that, something like 130 gal or 150 gal.

Hypochlorite has a shelf life that is typically 1 month. The material degrades over time depending on the temperature, light exposure, etc. Therefore, you don't want to oversize the container.

You can use a single tank or two. The suppliers will deliver bulk hypochlorite and refills your tank(s) using a hose from the truck.

Alternatively, you can buy hypochlorite in sealed drums.

Be sure to read the storage and handling requirements: Storage and Handling

powell
EPA

Local availability/ supply trumps everything.

If it comes in 55 gallon drums that sealed can last 3 months then buy that and store them somewhere cool and dry.

Comes in bulk tanker then two 50 gallon tanks sounds OK if they come every month.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Check your local supplier if they have carboys
15 gallons and weigh 130 lbs. So can be moved with
a hand truck
My crew picks them up with a maximum of 6 at a time in a trailer or pickup bed
need to keep it under 1000 lbs., otherwise placards and hazmat are required.
My local delivery is a minimum 250 gallons so the carboys
are a good alternative.

The 55 gallon drums require special equipment to move around

The carboys are sealed in the same way a 55 gallon drum is so sealed cool storage
will keep a fair amount of time.

Hydrae

I really appreciate all the great comments and input. The municipality instructed me to use two 30 gallon drums. Apparently that is the setup for the other wells in their system and that works for them.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back