Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sodium.nitrate and.potassium nitrate salts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojournerman

Industrial
Jun 5, 2014
NZ
Hi guys I want to know what metals I can use for heating a 60_40 mix of sodium and potassium nitrates .
What will not react with this is mix?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ed at the moment its a guess , I would guess to the mixtures melting point ? 400deg ish celcius I am thinking of going to salt but thats up.at like I think 801° cel

The melting point for sodium/potassium salts ranges from 130 deg C to 270 deg C . This is why they are used for thermal heat systems that operate at up to 600 deg C.

What is your application?

In closed high purity systems you can push the temps (read the ORNL paper) but 800C is not going to work.
As long as the Cl impurities are kept low (low ppm levels) there are many alloys that work. These salts are used in some of the solar thermal power plants.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Thanks ed and molten for.the info appreciate the time will.have a.look at the solar thermal.plants you mentioned .
If I had a 44 gallon drum of 60/40 (using it as an example)sodium/potasium nitrate heated to 600 deg celcius how do I work out how much energy is stored in it? Need it to recover heat to boil water for.steam.cleaning and a couple of other applications as well

Sojournerman;
Look up the heat capacity of the molten salt and based on the volume of salt convert to mass you can calculate the heat absorbed. You better be sure you understand the safety implications of handling this stuff.

When these start to decompose oxygen is liberated, and then things start to burn, and this all happens very abruptly. People have blown these systems up in the past.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Heat capacity can be used- heat of fusion cannot be used, as the initial film of solidifying material on the coil or other heat transfer surface will rapidly prevent recovery of the balance of the heat of fusion.

Too hot is very dangerous with this stuff as EdStainless has indicated.

Again, I have nothing to recommend to you for a metallic material for use in contact with molten chloride salts capable of > 800 C temperatures. The nitrate/nitrite mixtures are NOT capable of those temperatures- they will blow up.

You guys rock and are the salt of the earth😉(pun intended)appreciate the help and advice .Certainly dont want to cause a very rapid burn leading to a very quick disintergration . might miss out on a few beers this christmas .
Should I trust the info on wiki?
There seems to be quite abit there.
Thanks guys

Hi guys merry christmas
Couple of questions
how.much does the sodium/potasium mix expand when heated? 20-30%
Does pressure increase the "boiling" point of these chemicals? I suspect not
Appeciate the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back