Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Soffit & facia framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdxbob

Civil/Environmental
May 2, 2008
US
It's politically inexpedient for me to just call the AHJ. I believe the soffit and facia framing for a commercial building in our 120 mph wind zone needs to be specifically designed by a PE. Correct? CMU walls with wood trusses with 24" wide overhang and 24" or more deep facia - not part of the engineered trusses.

I'm getting the impression the GC is just gonna have the carpenters frame it up however they like.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure what AHJ stands for, but I'll give my opinion on the rest of your question:
I like to design fascia and soffit framing. It's part of the building (although not part of any main load paths) and as long as I know it's there, I feel responsible for it. I'm sure the carpenters would do an adequate job, but I'd hate to explain to the owner that I didn't know what was under there if there was a problem.

I'd agree with Jed, and even if I only sized the member giving grade, spacing, etc., I'd sure feel a lot better. If the end reactions exceeded typical toe-nailling (looks like they might), I'd also specify the fixing.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

I guess I need to clarify my question. This framing will be supporting "cladding" in a commercial building. I believe the framing would be considered a component. So my understanding is that we need S&S (signed & sealed) drawings for this specific framing - similiar to S&S truss drawings being S&S'd by the truss engineer.

I'm concerned because the more I look into wind damage I see reports that show everything else holding up (newer construction) except for the roof edge flashing or soffit/facia blowing away and letting in the wind driven rain.

Thanks

kdxbob,

You are certainly correct in your concerns. Unfortunately, common practice is to say "it's only a 24" fascia or soffit, surely between the architect and carpenter, they can get that right". But often, they don't, and as you say, that is where the wind pressures are higher and therefore the WEAKEST LINK. The member sizes for a fascia or soffit of this size don't matter so much, but the connections certainly do.

Back to the AHJ, most jurisdictions adopt some sort of model building code. In those codes, the sequence is:
1) Apply for approval (submit construciton documents)
2) The soffit framing should be on the drawings, sealed by whoever is taking responsbility (typically the architect) based on the component and cladding pressures normally determined by the structural engineer.
3) The building inspector should be inspecting against the approved drawings. If no framing was shown, he turns down the framing inspection and asked that the framing be submitted for approval.
4) If the drawings submitted are not sealed (see # 2), this would cause a correction letter. If sealed, then the revised drawings are sent to the field.
5) Building inspector approves, if per approved plans.

I am not sure why you would not approach the AHJ with any concerns. They are typically interested in public safety and if something is not right, they would appreciate the heads up.

Don Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back