Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

software advice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEngineeer

Structural
Sep 30, 2006
US
my current job right now we use risa 2d and 3d to solve frames. To do simple beam analysis we use struc calc. To be honest with you, I hate struc calc because of these reasons:

1. Can only analyze up to 3 spans
2. The load input is not very efficient (cant input load to all span all at once, hard to do traezoid load)

I am thinking about getting a different beam analysis software instead of struc calc. Any suggestions? I like the way you input the load values on risa but it will take forever to set up model to just do a simple beam anaysis. Also the new program must have :

1. steel member
2. LVL member
3. lumber

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't care much for Enercalc either.
Does it really take that long to model a beam in RISA 2-D? I used that in college and I don't remember it that well? I prefer RAM Advanse for analysis.
Do you need it to design as well or just for analysis? I am just wondering why the material types are important if you are only looking for analysis.

to look at deflection, shear and moment capacity. If I use Risa to model LVL beam then I need to look at each member deflection, shear, and moment. Plus, since it doesnt have LVL library, it cant find me the best size. I have to change the size manually.

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

I would go for Enercalc. Just watch out for bugs, check the software, and so forth as usual, nothing is perfect. I like RISA personally for steel and wood, but haven't used it since I changed jobs. I can't imagine it takes that long to do a little model for beams though, especially in 2D.

I use Woodworks Sizer all the time for multispan beams. It does a great job of pattern loading snow and live loads, and summarizes the controling moments, shear, and deflections. It checks wood and generic LVL, or you can customize the database to have the LVL properties for what you typically spec, ie. LP's 2650Fb-1.9E.

I have a spreadsheet set up to check steel beams based on the data output from Sizer.

....and one more nice feature:
If you have a trapezoidal load that starts in one span and stops in another, it can be put in once and the program breaks it into pieces for pattern loading automatically. The loads are immediately visible on the beam below the input, and they reflect relative magnitude to one another so it's easy to spot incorrectly entered loads as you go.

You can always set up typical beam runs of varying numbers of spans, set up the dead, live, snow, etc cases and combinations, and then save them as templates.

With actual project problems, simply open the appropriate file and adjust a few things like spans, loads, etc.

Pretty quick.

There may be other programs (like the ones above) that are specifically tied into continuous beam analysis that might go faster on average. We used to use a program called Ecom (by some firm in Milwaukee) that was very fast and simple to use - only did analysis at the time, but alternated live loads and gave all the shear/moment results.

RAM Advanse has a pretty good continuous beam module that is real quick to use for steel, concrete, or timber. It quickly gives you the shear and moment diagrams and check design. It will optimize pretty fast as well. I use all the time for indeterminate beams or simple beams with funky loadings.

Develop templates in RISA for 1, 2, 3, etc. span beams with the usually correct defaults already built in. That's what we did at my old firm and it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back