Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Software aid to integrate Excel with AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

Electrical
Jan 24, 2003
US
I think I have read in some threads some suggestions for software that aids in linking and editing spreadsheets to AutoCAD. Can some of you offer software suggestions and a brief explanation of what it does? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In reading the thread you suggested, it was not relevant to my needs. I have schedules created in Excel that I need to paste & link into AutoCAD so that they get updated whenever I change something in Excel. I also want something that will allow easier moving, editing, etc., Want to be able paste bigger areas of the spreadsheet into AutoCAD. Currently AutoCAD has a limit on how much you can paste in with one paste. Maybe there are some other editing tools with some of these programs that would be useful.

I am currently using Spanner from Wisbeck and Fraser CADTools.

Check it out at:
Spanner takes your Excel spreadsheet and creates a transfer file that you can insert into AutoCAD. Once inserted, the spreadsheet can easily be updated to reflect any changes you made in Excel.

Spanner is limited in it's formatting capabilities: for example Spanner does not support wrap-text feature from Excel.

Unfortunately, Spanner does not support Excel 2002 right now. But I did get an email saying they are working on an update for Excel 2002.

I am also looking at AutoXLSTable from I haven't used it yet but it looks promising for my needs.

Thanks. I have heard of spanner. Hopefully they have a demo. I tried AutoXLSTable. It would not work for me because they said my spreadsheet was too big. Tried to do one operation and had to wait over 5 minutes for it to draw one schedule. Hope it works better for you.

In response to the need to paste bigger areas, there are a couple of "tricks" that can help. 1. Reduce your text size to something like 6 pt. 2. Correspondingly, reduce the row height & column widths to minimize wasted space. These steps will allow more cells to be pasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back