Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software between Solid works and CNC machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pktong

Materials
Dec 31, 2002
MY
Can anybody give me some recommendation on the software that can convert solid works file into machining code for CNC machine?
If any. How does it work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you currently using CAM software or is that what you are looking for? We use Surfcam for programming our CNC machines. I downloaded a program from the Surfcam website that allows you to save Solidworks models as files for Surfcam.

mncad

We use Surfcam as well with the direct SW to Surfcam translator. It has the advantage of translating the sketches that you create in Solidworks onto a separate Surfcam layer. This is an advantage for us in creating ruled surfaces for machining. We don't make molds that just use a ball nose tool to run over the whole part, but use shell mills and face mills. It allows us to control our tool paths in Surfcam that way that we want.

Tom Stanley

Before you look at CAM software to create code from SolidWorks, think about what type of parts you will be doing. We spent some time in December looking at CamWorks and Mastercam for the products we design and build using SolidWorks. Simple parts took longer to program in the CAM software than by manual programming. If you do lots of profiled pockets and 3D surfaces, then the CAM could be worth it. Over 80% of our parts take less than 30 minutes to manually program, and it took over 15 minutes for any of the CAM systems to do a simple spot drill, drill and tap pattern. Granted we reuse program features to speed programming but it is faster to take a proven program and change dimention values to do the same feature than to recreate all the information over. My personal best was to program and run 6 different parts in lots of 1 or 2 in 30 minutes. The trick was all the tools were the same, all the parts were set in the vise with the same X0,Y0 and the Z0 was the same, only the location of the features were different between part numbers.

We use Gibbs Solidsurfacer CAM program and it has a direct interface in solidworks to transfer and automatically update the toolpaths when you make a change in Solidworks. This has a limitation in how drastic of a change can be made to keep the automatic updating of the toolpath of course. Gibbs also can bring in native solidworks files along with parasolid. But I agree with previous people about checking out needs versus capapbilities first.

I think you should look at EdgeCAM. You don't have to worry about converting files for one, because EdgeCAM looks directly at the SolidWorks file! That also helps EdgeCAM stay associative to the SolidWorks file. The same way you make a change to your part and it updates your drawing, EdgeCAM does the same thing. If you change your part, IN SOLIDWORKS, and go back to EdgeCAM, the part and the currect toolpath updates AUTOMATICALLY! Check it out at

EdgeCam and SolidWorks seem to be a match made in heaven! No conversion necessary. The time that I have saved since I've been using EdgeCam is remarkable. Parts that would have taken 2 hours to program alone, can be cut in a CNC machine in half the time. I create programs that are mostly prototypical and don't have the luxury of making more than one part, and I have to admit that 98% of the time that part is correct from the machine. Also, if there is a change to the part in SolidWorks, I am notified of the change from within EdgeCam, and a quick refresh of the part and code and it's ready to fly!! Also to be noted, when needed,(RARELY),the Tech support is unmatched. They will answer any questions you have on the spot, no waiting for a return call or email. Check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back