Software for calculation of Insulation of Cryogenic tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meesamali512

Structural
Jul 12, 2012
AE
Hello Everybody,
We have a cryogenic tank which is housing BUTENE at -6.4 degree celsius. We have various insulation layers for the tank along with following technical data for the tank.
1. Tank diameter (inside) = 36.00 m
2. Tank height = 10.80 m
3. Liquid level = 10.50 m
4. Storage material = Butene
5. Design Temp (°C) = -24 °C
6. Operating Temp (°C) = -6.4 °C
7. Liquid Spec. Gravity = 0.6011
8. Net working capacity = 5434 m3

Would really appreciate if somebody can suggest me some good software to do a detailed THERMAL analysis for this cryogenic tank in order to understand its thermal parameters and how much each of the insulation material affects the tank's overall insulation.
Any guidance / help would be extremely appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear iainuts,
Thanks for your response. You're right normally cryogenics are below -150 C but here still as the Butene is in liquid form and also maybe client wants to call it so its called as cryogenic. I am looking for a software which can take inputs as parameters related to various materials for insulation and then in the end give us an OUTPUT in the form of insulation value of overall structure. We have some issues with the perlite blocks as the ring beam of main tank structure so are looking to replace them. Need detailed design before replacing them.
Regards.

Are there more pictures? or an expansion of the existing ones? Where and what is the inner wall? What heat loss is it design for? Is there something that keeps it cold, aside from the insulation, i.e., active cooling? What insulation value are you trying to achieve?

As for software, something this complex would require a finite element analysis (FEA) tool, see
You could try to do that with other general purpose tools like Mathcad or Matlab, possibly even Excel.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Hi IRstuff,
Thanks for replying back. I have attached some more details regarding insulation of the tank as well as the related codes. All the relevant information is as in this link.
Kindly review the same and recommend good strategy / software / solution to move forward. We're really stuck for the time being. Any help is appreciated.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back