Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for composite fiber layers unfolding

Status
Not open for further replies.

faskis

Materials
Feb 7, 2003
ES
Hi

I've been searching for a program to design the fiber layers layout for composite materials. I have the part already as a Catia model, and I need a way of calculating the arrangement of the fiber layers inside the mold. I´ve found programs for sheet metal unfolding, but they are only useful for pieces with linear foldings. I need something to generate the layers from a piece with lots of curves, something similar to an ashtray with the slots going down to the bottom, and of course not cilyndrical! I´ve been doing this manually and is really time consuming.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

take a look at Fibersim from or MSC Patran Laminate Modeller.

Vistagy sells a version of Fibersim that can be integrated with CATIA. However the price is (of cource) in the $ 000´s range. Fibersim covers the whole spectrum of composites manufacturing while Laminate Modeller is focused more towards streess analysis.

Hope this has been hlpefull to you
Stanathens

Faskis,

In CATIA V5R12, there is a new product for Composites Design.

Since you already have CATIA, you could probably get a 30-day trial copy and try it out.

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it, and how it compares to Fibersim, as my company will be adding composites soon.

....Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back