Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for Dam Thermal Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamby

Structural
Feb 12, 2002
Hi,

Can you please suggest me a few names of the software that can do a thermal analysis of concrete gravity dam? I have used NISA in past but the modeling is so difficult that I do not dare attempt new jobs on it now. I am looking for a code with good GUI and good tools for modeling.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi flame!
Generally all FEA simulation softwares will support structures right?. You can treat dam as a structure and apply hydraulic pressure on the surface over which water is going to stagnate. hope i am correct. please all can comment on this.

Rgds,
mrmech

Hai,

In structual analysis, the dam is simplified from 3D to 2D based on plane strain assumption.Plane strain is well valid in structural analysis because one of the dimension is comparively higher compared to other two dimensions and also the geometry and loading is same throughout the longer dimension.

Whether 1 dimensional heat conduction can be applied for thermal analysis of dam?

Regards,
E.Logesh

For E.Logesh,
As with a 3D structure and 2D plane strain assumptions, 2D thermal analysis of the dam will assume that there is no heat flow in the third direction. This would apply for long structures.
For Flame,
There is lots of software available but the quality really depends on how much you are prepared to pay, and what you are prepared to pay for. Abaqus is at the top end of the market but you pay for everything. Ansys did used to offer a cut down version for which you could buy a commercial licence but I don't know whether they do that now. They also used to sell off old versions at reduced prices, but with no support - suitable for only experienced users.

Sorry, I didn't make the question pretty clear. Well, hope this will attempt it.

When we use the term 'Thermal Analysis' in Civil Concrete structures, it refers to heat generation by concrete as setting of concrete is an exothermic reaction. Too high temperature without dissipation will crack the whole thing.

I will not be interested in finding out any structural properties like stress, strain etc. The software should be able to accept a heat generation curve from me, ambient temperature curve and related boundary conditions. Then I would be interested in finding out the temperature variation accross the dam body after a particular duration.
NISA does it but is low on 'interactivity'.

I am looking for these capabilities, so please suggest..

Thanks for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back