Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for electronic data management

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaggioli

Mechanical
Dec 9, 1999
US
My situation is this, we are a small manufacturing company we produce a lot of prototype work for a large variety of customers(250 or so). As their product designers are using 3-d software we are now seeing all kinds of file types.

AUTOCAD, PRO-E, CADKEY, SOLID WORKS, MASTER CAM
for native solid models. We also have customers who will only send stupid models in IGES, STEP, STL, PARASOLIDS, and ACIS.
In 2-d we receive AUTOCAD, PRO-E , CADKEY, SOLID WORKS, MASTER CAM, DXF, DWG, IGES, PDF, TIFF, JPEG, WORD DOCS, and BMP to name most of them.

MY problem is managing all this different type of data as we are at the prototype stage with most of these
Customers, so changes and files sent are fast and frequent.

I am looking for a software solution to this problem as far as tracking the files and making them viewable and printable to all the necessary players within my company.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We currently us Cyco's Automanager, but they have switched to thier new product Teamwork. This is a complete document managment program. We like it alot.

I'm looking for the same, but also to be able to manage calculation data (Excel, MathCAD, Various FEA packages), and their various revisions. Calculations can also be paper-form, though we have a nice scan-to-PDF photocopier (Toshiba). Projects can have multiple sub-projects, etc.

I'm looking at the above-mentioned apps, but does anyone have experience in using them, and can recommend a cost-effective one?

Thanks in advance,

Boothby

Have you looked at SmarTeam by Dassault? That will handle different CAD packages, ECEL, Work, and you can load any file you want into it.

I am working on a prototype MS Access database that allows various project related documents to be related to a specific system or line number. Access does not open the files to view/edit however the individual hyperlink can open the file and parent application . It can also be set to just go to a specific folder.

A database solution could be setup with one backend on the network in a shared location and all users with their own frontend.

A revision/editing history could also be a child table for each file to allow users to enter comments or revision history.

This may not be what you need and the other solutions may be more what you need. My experience is in welding/qc not engineering so I may not be familar with what you are trying to do.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

I have taken a look at Adept from Synergis. It has a bunch of neat features, and a nice cad viewer. I'm not sure how many different formats the viewer can handle, but looked pretty nice. You can link e-mails, and any file formats to a specific job or product line, it will handle revision control, ECNs, etc. I have a couple friends that use it, and are quite happy with the system. Synergis is an Autodesk VAR, so it is very up-to-date with those products. If I remember right, it was $950 a seat out of the box, and I think they had floating licenses....but it has been a while since I looked at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back