Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software for Fault Current Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domer81

Electrical
Nov 22, 2004
US
Can anyone recommend a good software program for basic 'in-plant' fault current calculations. Money is tight so I need something below $1000, but it can be relatively basic as I will just be looking at 3 phase bolted faults. Please provide recommendations on the software and any comments about it.
thanks
gary

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SKM for power tools is a good one..it starts around $1200-1500.
Buy only the modules you need.

At the least you will need the light version with short circuit module and coordinaiton module (captor).

Review their licensing terms, you can have one license and install it on multiple computers but should be able to use it on any one of them at time.

Review ability of other modules.

Best reason I like them is for their wonderful, live and prompt tech support.

Call SKM, they recommended the PTW Lite, which is Fault Current and Coordination, but at $2000. Bit more than I wanted to spend. Any others? Also, anything that incorporates Arc Flash calcs?

For less than $2000, I don't think you're going to find much in the way of commercial software. In general, the arc-flash module alone will be $2000.

If AutoDesk can charge $5000 for an AutoCAD license, specialty software such as for electrical system analysis will understandably be more expensive.

I'd suggest you figure out what features you want, get pricing from several suppliers, then test the software before you buy. Then you'll have to decide how much your time is worth to you or your company.

If you're interested in Arc-Flash calcs, you might also want to look at EasyPower.

You can check this outfit. AMTECH’s ProDesign
Cutler hammer use to give the program away. The list prices on there website are high. You may be able to deal with them as they are always advertisisng "speicials".

I like Easy Power but you are ot going to get it for less than $ 5k

SKM also have a arc flash module for around $1000 and you need PTW-LT to begin with.

As dpc said you can't buy softwares much cheaper than numbers quoted above.

I think at Mike Holt's website, he had a free Arc Flash Calculator in Excel. I just don't know if it follows the new IEEE 1584 standard. You could always take a look...

Mike

Basler Electric has a free program called "Fault Tutor" that does a wide variety of faults: arbitrary phase open or faulted, phase to phase, phase to ground, arbitrary fault impedance, arbitrary phase open, up to 3 voltage sources, models loads. The calc gives current from each source, current and voltages around the network, sequence as well as phase currents,....

The drawback is that it was written in the Win 95 era, and runs into a few graphical issues that mess up performance sometimes. Works fine on my XP machine most of the time.
Also has a fixed layout of 5 network systems that it does its calc on. Most systems of interest can be modeled by opening various breakers in the network.

Basler puts it on all their catalog CDs. If you do not have one of those, go to and ask that a copy of "Fault Tutor" be sent to you.

cost is just one problem- ease of use is another. most of these software programs take time to learn and use . I would recommend that you call these guys and find out what support and training they will give you with the program before you spend your companies money. find out if you can handle the time involved. I like electrocon software myself because I learn how to use it a long time (1986) ago. but there is a lot better products out there. There is a hold bunch of stuff out there. I don't care for the ske software because it gives you too much data for simple calcs if you are just using it for just fault calcs in the plant. try calling your fuse manufactures like bussman fuse or little fuse. I believe they still have free fault software off and on every year. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back